37: Attack Me... If You Can

_________________________________________________

The bell rang signalling the end of the day. I sighed and felt my head drop to the table. 
Even though this day had been great and normal, I've come to the conclusion that my brain capacity was larger than it was when I was human. Everything worked at full speed. Chemistry was so easy it surprised both the teacher and me. He was asking the atomic numbers in specific elements from the periodic table without peeking and I came out with them without even realizing it.

The teacher then looked at me and said recite the whole periodic table in order and I did. I got about two wrong but that was good for me. I hate Chemistry. And I'm one of those who barely knew four elements on that table.

I finally stood up and made my way toward Mr. Williams' class. There was a note on the front of the window telling me to go to the gym. I rolled my eyes and started toward the gym. I didn't know what he was planning but I knew it was probably physical labor which I suppose I didn't mind. I didn't have anything better to do today.

I walked through the large gym doors and looked around. My eyes widened at the mess. There were large crash mats scattered all over the gym floor, there were basketballs gathered in the every far corner of the large hall and the equipment cupboard was wide open probably unorganized. But the bleachers were clean thank god!

I walked across the hall over to the bleachers dodging in and out of the mats. I shrugged my coat and bag off and sat on the side.

I wasn't with Jayden last period but he explained where the gym was... Technically it wasn't that hard to find anyways. Just look for the bigger half of the building. He also promised to drive me home after school since Gabriel was the one to drive me here and decided to abandon me to meet Axel. 

I closed my eyes for a moment and smiled. It was nice to hear a little silence. There were only a few people left in the whole building but I couldn't exactly tell who was who.

I opened my eyes to look at the large clock on the wall and noticed it was ten minutes past three. Maybe he was late.

I mindlessly went into my bag and pulled out the lighter I now brought with me where ever I went. I couldn't always be too careful. 

I flicked the top back and lit it. Whenever there's fire, I could sometimes feel the waves of heat being radiated even from a far distance. I could locate it if I needed to. 

I put my finger through it and watched the small flame attach to it like a magnet. I was controlling it to make sure it stayed small and insignificant. 

The doors opened.

I dropped the lighter and closed my hand. 

"Alexis, how long have you been waiting?" Mr. Williams asked as he strolled in with three large boxes of paper work. I ran over to him and grabbed one of them easily. 

"Not long, only about a lifetime." We walked side by side to the bleachers and placed them on the floor. I went back up to discreetly put the lighter in my pocket.

Mr. Williams sighed and flopped onto the side. "I had to carry them from my classroom."

"You told me to meet you here though."

"Yes, I know but I didn't think I had that much to carry." 

I sat next to him. "How long are we here for?"

He shrugged. "Until I've sorted these papers out and we've cleared the gym. I thought you were bringing help?"

My eyes narrowed at the doors. "So did I." 

"Right, so let's get started then. Start with the crash mats so we can get that out of the way."

I nodded and stood up. I was walking over to a different one to Williams when he stopped me. "Not by yourself; they're heavy."

I smirked. "I'm sure I can handle it."

"Highly doubt that," He scoffed. 

I know I wasn't supposed to show off my strength but come on. This had to be an exception, right? I picked up the edge with one hand and started dragging it along to the mat cupboard. I caught sight of Williams' wide eyes and raised eyebrows. 

I opened the large door with my spare hand and tossed it in as if it were a sheet of paper. 
"I'm impressed." He said. "Those things are really heavy."

I shrugged. "Ah, well."

I ended up putting most of them away while he worked on the basketballs. The hall was empty within an hour. We kept up constant casual conversion about school and how everything was. Jayden still hadn't turned up which I will scold him for later.

"Throw me a basketball."

He threw me one and sat down to start grading his... Wait, what do gym teachers grade?

"What are you grading anyway, sir?"

He sighed. "P.E includes theory as well. I'm grading test papers. And call me Reece, no ones around."

I started dribbling the ball. "What like, naming bones and stuff? That's science not P.E." 

"Its theory and it's for people who want to become physiotherapist or a trainer. You have to know the bones and muscles." 

I nodded and threw the ball toward the hoop. It surprised me by bouncing off the backboard and going through the net. 

"Nice." He complemented. "Bet you couldn't do that again from the free throw line."

I shrugged. "Probably couldn't. There's no point in me trying." 

He stood up. "Get the ball."

"Bossy," I mumbled. I grabbed the ball from the sideline and threw it to him with a little too much pressure. He caught it easily unfortunately and stood at what I was guessing as the three-point line.

He gestured me over to him. "Come here so I can show you how it's done."

I scoffed. "Fine. Show off."

He threw the ball. I watched it swish through the net and bounce toward the bleachers. "See that? Nothing but net." 

I walked to the ball and started bouncing it again. "I'm not giving you another chance to show off." 

Before I could even read the thought, he came at me at full speed. Well, full speed for a human. I smiled. It was like slow motion. I jogged around him with the ball and arched my back forward. "I'm too tired to play but for you I'll make an exception."

He held his hand to his heart. "Oh thank you so much!"

I laughed and started running around the gym. He didn't tire easily which made the game drag on a little. He stole the ball all of twice which was good for me because I'm so bad at P.E. After a while he was sweating and panting while I felt even more energized than earlier.

"Aren't you tired?" He panted and placed the ball on the rack along with the rest of them.

I shook my head. "Not really."

He flopped on the bleachers. "You're an odd kid."