44: Funeral

___________________

-

-

"Kimberly Winters was a lovely girl," The priest said. "She had friends and enemies. A lot of people do. But she never failed to make those she loved laugh. And on this day her friends and enemies have come together to say their last goodbyes. To say thank you."

I stared down at the ground and kept my hands clenched into fists.  

Gabriel's hand covered mine but I didn't change my stance.

Over one hundred people were here today watching the ceremony. Her parents and her little brother, Josh, wept by the priest who was finishing off his words. My parents were here along with my brother and his girlfriend grieving with everyone else. As soon as my brother heard what happened he flew straight over with his girlfriend. Even my cousin Theo and Aunt Sheryl were here. They were surprised to see what I looked like at first but got over it quickly. I didn't recognize them at first but soon enough some memories came back.  

All of my friends and most teachers were here. We were standing outside by her casket and headstone.

Gabriel's parents were here too. A lot of people gave them weary looks. No one had ever seen Joseph really so they were surprised to see him here.

My name being said brought my attention back to the priest.

"Alexis Gardiner tried her best to save this young woman's life. To bring her back to her family. But time wasn't on her side. But for what she did has blessed her in many ways. Her parents would like to thank you for your efforts, Alexis."

My hands clenched harder. I kept my eyes on the ground and ignored him when he asked me if I had anything to say.

There were some murmurs from the crowd because of my silence and unmoved body.  

Joseph's hand softly landed on my shoulder. "Alexis isn't ready to talk at this time."

I hadn't talked in a week.

I hadn't even attempted to talk. I didn't want to. Gabriel tried reading my mind but I wouldn't let him in. 

I wanted to be alone. 

I hadn't spoken to any of my family. They knew I was still in shock.

Nobody really knew what happened on that day except for me. Everyone had an idea, but they were not even close. They knew I tried saving her but that's it. Police asked questions but I kept my silence. Doctor's asked questions but I remained silent. The unexplained stab in her stomach didn't make sense because we were in a fire.

But I stayed silent.

Gabriel's been so worried about me. But I wasn't ready... Not yet.

The priest cleared his throat and carried on with the service.

My parents were living in a temporary rented home that their friends lent them. They were devastated when they found out about the house. Mother was hysterical and my father had to calm her down.

Joseph's hand squeezed my shoulder.

I'd managed to throw on one of Maryanne's black dresses. It was puffy from the waist down to my knees but to be honest I didn't care. I couldn't care any less.

The service ended and everyone watched the casket lower into the ground. Everyone started moving toward the after service inside. I stayed and stared at the place where Kimberly's casket was.

Gabriel stayed with me. I could feel his eyes on me but I didn't move.

"I'm begging you to talk to me. Please, tell me what happened."