The Choices We Make

We had all been preparing since the moment we got back to the prison. No one wanted to face this, but it seemed inevitable at this point

I slid out of my bunk around 6AM and changed my clothes, then went down into the cafeteria area to mix up some instant oatmeal. I sat down at one of the tables, mind reeling over the days to come and weather we would survive it or not.

Either way. We had to fight. And I planned on it. One way or another we had to win. We needed this place. There was no way we'd survive out there with a baby and Hershel only having one leg.

After I finished eating I walked to Daryl's cell, only to discover it was empty. He usually was up at this point but he would've come to me by now

I walked back down to the cafeteria and noticed Rick was no where to be found either.

Maybe they were outside then, taking watch.

I slipped on my coat and walked to the outside door, only to bump into Hershel as he tried to make his way back inside.

"Hey " I said, furrowing my brow "what are you doing outside, it's dangerous" I said with concern.

He smiled, but I could tell something was bothering him "Just getting some morning air" he said. I opened my mouth to speak again but it was like he knew what I would ask "He's out there"

I smiled "Thanks" I said, putting my hand on his back comfortingly as I held the door open and made my way outside into the light.

This morning was much colder then the days before. No more shorts and tank tops.

Rick was headed back inside as well and merely nodded to me. Daryl looked over towards me and didn't smile like he usually did. He was lost in his thoughts, I could tell by the expression on his face .

I made my way up to him and smiled as I came up behind him, wrapping my arms around him, pressing my much smaller body into his "Good morning handsome" I said softly "what are you doing out here, it isn't safe"

He shrugged slightly "Rick an I was just discussin different ways to protect this place" he said, turning his head to the side.

I nodded my head and closed my eyes, breathing in his calming smell "I missed you" I said.

A small chuckle escaped his lips "What do ya mean? Ya see me every day" he said, reaching to my hands on his stomach, playing with the end of my sweater that peaked out of my jacket sleeves.

"Not every day is promised..." I said, a frown finding it's way to my face as thoughts of the war to come flooded my mind.

He turned around slowly in my grasp and I kept my eyes down. He reached forward and tilted my face upwards "I ain't goin anywhere anytime soon ya here me" he said.

I sighed shakily "Can you promise that?" I asked him, knowing the answer would be no.

He didn't say anything to me, he just leaned his forehead against mine, letting our touches speak for us.