Getting Back To Our Roots

For the first time in a long time I had actually slept good

For the first time in a long time I had actually slept good. Everyone stayed in the living room together as a group for the first night, but allowed me to take the couch since I was pregnant. I wished Maggie was open about her own pregnancy that way she could be getting the special treatment she deserved as well.

After my melt down in the bathroom her and I spent most the night talking about the future and the things to come, what this place could offer us, the future generations to come and how they would prosper here. Our suffering wasn't in vain. Our children would have solid lives to live.

Daryl came back from his interview but didn't say much about it, he just gave vague answers to Deanna's questions which didn't entirely surprise me. I mean he was Daryl Dixon after all. I wondered what kind of job she would task him with? I hoped it was nothing to dangerous. I needed him around.

This morning it was my turn.

I stared at the camera Deanna had set up in her house, the light flashing as she pressed record and walked around the side of the couch and took her seat.

She offered me a kind smile, but I couldn't find it within myself to return it. As good as I felt about this place, my nerves were on fire and I was on high alert, prepared for any threat that might come my way.

"I'm Deanna, can you tell me what your name is?" She asked me softly as her eyes searched mine inquisitively. I hated it. I hated how she was studying me just as I was studying her.

"Olivia Holt..." I said quietly, my eyes scanning the decor through the room before circling back around to the camera and then to Deanna.

"And how old are you Olivia?" She asked me, a pen and paper sat in her lap, waiting for any information I would give her. Why she needed a pen and paper when she was recording the session was beyond me, but I didn't argue.

"I'm...22 now" I said. My heart clenched at the fact I had to think about that answer. How do you forget your own age? Being out in the shit really had a dirty effect on you after awhile. Strips you of everything that makes you human.

She nodded her head, writing it down and then glancing back up at me "You must've been quite young when all this started then weren't you? No job, I would assume in late high school?".

I nodded my head "I was about to graduate my senior year when it all happened. I never had a job before, unless you count working with farm animals and gardening" I said. I continued to observe the room, taking in every detail and memorizing it.

She wrote some more and without looking up she spoke once more "Your nervous aren't you Olivia" she said.

I locked my gaze onto her as she looked up from the paper in front of her "I would be foolish not to be" I answered her.

She nodded her head "I understand. You don't know me...your in a new place with no weapons. Makes you feel vulnerable doesn't it?" She asked me.

I never tore my gaze from her as I stared back. She didn't need me to answer that question, so I didn't.