Questions, Questions

(CHAPTER CONTAINS EXPLICIT CONTENT)

(YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

The next morning I woke up, staring at the top bunk above me. Alone.

But alive.

Why hadn't I turned yet?

I looked at my watch and it was 6 am. No one was up yet except for Hershel in the cafeteria room.

I crawled out of bed and slipped on my clothes for the day, making sure the shirt was long enough to cover my upper arm and scratches.

I walked downstairs silently, coming to Hershel side and sitting down. He looked at me and I looked at him, and I swore we must've been thinking the same thing.

"I haven't turned....and I feel fine" I said quietly to him while watching for any sign of movement. 

He looked around before motioning to my sleeve, and I pulled it up gently. He leaned a little closer and examined the marks , careful not to touch it.

"It was definitely deep enough to turn you ..." He said puzzled.

I nodded my head and covered it back up "Just like what happened to your son....he was scratched and....why hasn't it happened to me yet" I asked, confused.

Hershel stared at me for a long moment, still just as puzzled as I.

"I don't know....you must be immune somehow" he suggested.

I heard a footsteps behind me and turned to see Daryl quickly walking out, pushing open the door to the courtyard.

"Shit!" I exclaimed as I threw my legs over the side of the table and ran for the door, slipping out into the still dark outside.

He stomped off walking around and I came forward and grabbed his hand, but he pushed it away.

"Daryl stop!" I exclaimed as I followed him "I can explain"

"You were bit!" He yelled as he turned around to face me, inches away from me. I stared up at him.

"Scratched. The day you came back" I said calmly.

He stared at me and kicked a nearby bleacher and paced back and forth "Your infected" he stated.

"Yes....I mean...no....I don't know!" I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest "I haven't felt weird....no fever, not hot flashes, no sweating, no pain, no weird cravings for flesh, no nightmares, nothing. Nothing had changed...and the wounds are healing fine..." I said.

He turned and looked at me and walked up to me again "Show me" he said.

I lifted my sleeve and he grabbed my arm, examining it just as Hershel had. It truly didn't look bad at all. Like faded scratches that would eventually scar.