31 | Is that my dad?

"—you and I are going to have serious problems," I heard my father say to someone as I walked past his study.

His words piqued my curiosity, and I stood back to hear further.

With whom he's going to have serious problems? About what?

"Sir, I wouldn't even dream of hurting her. I may not have figured out what I feel for her yet, but one thing I'm clear about is that I care for her more than my own life. And that's saying something because I've never given two shits about anyone except my mom," He said, his voice strong and clear.

It was Raiden. Talking to my father. Probably about me. Holy Fuck. My father is actually having a decent conversation with the guy I like, and he knows.

I never thought I would see this day unless the guy was chosen by him.

"I know I don't come if as a father who wants best for his daughter but trust me, I love her and I want the best for her," My father said

"Sir, I'm sorry, but how putting rules and not letting her out is the best for her?" Raiden said with a little anger laced in his voice.

"I want her to stand on her own legs. I want her to be strong and independent. I knew she was accepted at MIT Sloan. I knew she has a job in your company, and that's before even she knew you. I restrict her to do certain things because that will only encourage her to do them," my father said proud,

"If I gave her everything she wanted, she wouldn't be so challenging and ambitious. I've seen my friends give their children everything they wanted, and now they are just spoiled kids with rich parents. They are nothing without them. I want my little girl does make her own identity. I don't want people to know that she's my daughter. Instead, I want them to recognize me as her father," I could hear the love and pride in his voice clearly.

I felt tears fall out of my eyes. I didn't wait to hear Raiden's response and hurried back to my room.

After Harvey hinted this, I thought about it. But I never knew for sure that my family would really do that.

They put rules on me because they wanted me to break them and do something in my life. But do they really have to do that? I spent half of my childhood thinking my family didn't love me.

Do they really have to do that?

Would you who you are now if they hadn't? Would you want to travel the world if they let you go wherever? Would you want to run every morning and workout every day if they let you do that?

No. I don't think so. I started running because they said girls don't run, and I wanted to prove them wrong. I started putting the effort into my studies because they said even if girls studied, they couldn't do anything in life.

Just to prove them wrong, I do everything. They challenge me, and I accept it with a big ass grin on my face just to prove to them that, yes, I can do it.

After hearing my father say that, all that respect I had for him tripled. And I love him even more, if not less.

I sit on the recliner near the window and gaze at the ocean and city lights. Nighttime is my favorite. With lights, the stars, and the moonlight, it's just more beautiful at night.

"Hey," I feel the recliner dip beside me, and Raiden's smell engulfed me, followed by his arms.

I leaned my back on his chest as he made himself comfortable, resting his legs on my side as I sat between them with my head on his shoulder.

"It's fascinating, isn't it?" I spoke up after a while we sat there just gazing at the view out of the window.

"It is," he said