3 | The new student

My breath hitches as the cold water makes contact with my face. My chest felt heavy and my lungs were trying to get some air, and yet when I recover from it, I splash cold water again on my face. And this time, my face felt numb. I felt numb.

I get changed and get ready for my run.

I spot the same guy from yesterday and the day before, working out there. We nod at each other again, and I start doing what I do the best, the only thing I am in control of in my life. I work out, light my muscles on fire and forget about all the worries and problems I have.

It was the third day I saw him working out there. At first, it felt like an invasion in my place, this was my escape. However, when I realized he wasn't up for chit-chat, I calmed down. I liked the silence this place offered. 

I caught him staring at me when I struggle to do something, but he doesn't approach me. He caught me staring at him a few times too. Sometimes, we just stare at each other, refusing to divert our eyes. Sometimes we get back to our business.

I couldn't help but stare at him. He's hot and beautiful. His body is a piece of art And if that wasn't enough, he had to workout shirtless. It distracts me sometimes, but whatever. He's worked his ass off to get the body he has, and I only want to appreciate the effort.

We don't talk to each other. Not even a hello. It's a peaceful silence around. And uncomfortably comfortable when he is around.

*

The school was the same old, or so I thought until Mr. Louise, our literature teacher who happens to have quite an importance and reputation in the school, makes an appearance in our class to introduce the new student, Harvey Costa.

He was beautiful, to be honest. His body well-muscled, and had a little bronzed skin which shows he spent a fair amount of time on the beach. His tousled dirty blonde hair gave him a bad boy look.

His eyes scan the room for empty seats, and there are plenty, to be honest. We are in math class, so many students ditch.

He locks his eyes with me, and I stare at him. Not taking my eyes off him when. He frowns. Then forces a little smile, which makes me raise a brow.

What's up with him?

He takes a seat at the left corner of the class. At first, I am confused as to why he would sit away from everyone, but then I remember he's new, and he probably doesn't know anyone.

But, many were present in the class, offered him a seat beside, but he blatantly refused them.

Keep doing things, and you would be the loser of the year, man.

After me, of course.

I scoff.

A few heads turn towards me, and I scowl at them.

Soon after, the bell rang as an indication of lunchtime. I gathered my things calmly and made my way to my usual table. And, the rest is history.

No one noticed me. Or those who didn't bother me.

The next two periods were the same: listening to what the teacher said and noting down the vital things. Yeah, I put some effort into studies.

I wanted to do something with my life. Not spend it as my aunt and mother did. They grew up, got married, had kids, raised them, and took care of them and their husbands. Other than that, they did nothing. Why? Because they are women and aren't supposed to work. And they expect the same from me.

My parents will marry me off to some rich kid as soon as I turn 21. Well, they won't even let me move out when I am no longer under their custody. Why? Because I'm a girl.

I know this because they have hinted that a few times. And I put the two and two together. I even told them I am not getting married until I achieve something in my life, and they completely ignored me.

When I was younger, I wished to be a boy. I didn't want to be a girl because of the rules they put. I even tried to be one. I wore boy clothes acted like one and all, but all it earned me a lesson and lots of prohibitions more from my family. Well, my mother and aunt, to be specific. My uncle and dad were fine with it, they tell me to do whatever I want, but within my limits. But there were things normal teenagers do, like going to parties, hanging out with friends, and a lot more, even they didn't let me.

I learned that being a girl is not bad. It's just my family's mentality that was narrow. And I had—wanted— to change that.

And at that moment, I couldn't do that. Because I was no one. I needed to be someone, had to become someone to make that change

The last period was the gym, and I was grateful for that finally to get a break from the busy, uptight life. 

I used to hold back myself in gym because I knew that if they saw the real me, they would want to be 'friends' with me. And I despise superficial people, relationships.

I expected the class to be the same as ever, but what I didn't expect was Harvey to go all beast mode. And he was athletic. Hot. Handsome. Harvey showed off his skills. As in, way too much.

Big ass ego, arrogant and cocky.

 * * *

Can anyone tell me how to make brownies? 

edited 18/06/2021