Festival of Lights

Chapter Five: Festival of Lights

After all the time spent in the Sakamaki household I've grown accustomed to all things supernatural. Every weird sight or sound on Halloween couldn't surprise me.

Today was like any another day of the year. It was chilly evening and I could observe my breath as frosted mist as it left my mouth. I pulled my muffler to cover my mouth trying to warm myself. The bus sputtered to a halt its doors coming open as if to offer me sanctuary. Once in the warm embrace of the bus I relaxed. The bus was teeming with conversations. I was glad when the bus pulled up to the ancient manor.

"I wonder who lives there?" A high school girl whispered to her friend.

" Scary." The other girl replied.

I didn't blame them after all the manor did look like it was straight out of a horror movie. I quickly exited the bus ignoring the hushed conversations that followed me.

"I'm home." I said more to myself than to anyone who was listening.

I shut the doors tightly behind me retreating to my room. I collapsed exhausted onto the pink sheets of my bed. I shut my eyes but opened them when I realized that I wasn't staring at my pink sheets. Instead I was staring at a distinctive floral pattern. It was a colorful yukada meant for celebration.

"Oi...pancake get ready" a familiar voice spoke outside my door.

"D....don't call me that I have a name." I responded.

It was silent then he tried pulling on the door handle.

"If you don't hurry I'll come help you put it on." Ayato warned.

"I can do it myself."

When I was dressed I left the room. Ayato was dressed in a dark yukada leaning against the wall patiently.

"Tsk, did you do your hair with your eyes shut?" He asked.

"I'll go fix myself." I turned to leave.

" Wait! Let me help you." He yelled pulling me into his embrace.

He guided me towards the sofa, sitting down he directed me to sit in front of him. I positioned myself directly bellow him with my back resting on his legs. He pulled out a brush he had prepared in advance.

Did he plan this? I thought.

He brushed my hair in a rough clumsy major. I found his effort endearing.

"There." He said confidently arranging a flower decoration in my golden locks.

" I bet you taste as good as you look. " he said wrapping his arms around me.

I expected him to sample me but astonishingly he refrained. We walked together hand in hand until we reached our destination. Many stalls stood before them. My hand slipped from his my eyes wandering from stall to stall. When I turned he was gone. I panicked scanning the crowd for his familiar red mane but came up empty.

" Miss are you ok?" A gentleman around my age asked.

"Yes." I replied.

"Here take this. A treat for a beautiful lady." He handed my a small piece of caramel candy.

"Bye now!" He smiled retreating into a nearby stall.

I put the caramel in my mouth trying to relax. Startled I shrieked as someone took hold of my wrist. It was Ayato he looked upset.

"Don't eat things from other guys." He told me.

He took my hair in his hands and pulled me to his lips. We played a entertaining game of tag with our tongues as he fished around for the candy. He took the caramel from my mouth snapping it with his teeth. I was flushed pink and unsteady on my feet.

In the distance I seen the brilliant display of light that came from paper lanterns. Many people set them afloat in the water. We spent the rest of the festival together.

Author notes:
Happy Halloween!
I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

RUKI-SENPAI