1

John looked up at the castle that loomed before him. It's walls where made out of hard stone. The doors sturdy oak. And the royal family flag waved proudly in the wind.

John gulped.

He has done this job for much of his life, but whenever he walked into a new palace his stomach would drown in anxiety. He hated the feeling.

John was pulled out of his thoughts, very suddenly, by someone tapping him rather forcefully on the shoulder. He whipped around, and was face to face with old tired eyes.

John jumped back in surprise. The eyes watched him jump. The eyes belonged to the gardener of the palace.

"Sorry to scare you there mate, but I need to ask you why you are here. Can't have simple folk milling around the palace you know, unless they are doing work", the gardener explained while he twirled his sad excuse of a moustache in his dirt-ridden hands.

John gave an awkward smile.

The gardener did not smile back.

"Oh, well, I am being assigned as a guard to Prince Sherlock today. I am sure you have heard of him?", John said. It sounded more like a question then a statement.

"I am sure you heard of him, of course I have heard of him! You daft!", the gardener hissed. John just stood there, wincing every time a small piece of spit splattered his face like a tiny rain drop.

After the gardeners hissy fit subsided he let out a long sigh. One that a tired horse would make.

"I can take ya to the king if that will help. But I should warn ya, that prince is different from any other prince I have seen", the gardener whispered. It was almost like a secret.

But everyone already knew this secret so there was no reason in keeping it to oneself.

John just nodded. He already knew. The prince was probably a spoiled child who never wanted to do anything on there own. One who would cry when they didn't get there way. Who would rather laugh at people's hardships then help. A spoiled ignorant prat who only cares about one thing and one thing only.

Power.

But of course John would never say this out loud. Or else he might be put on the chopping block.

Something no one really wants.

So, instead John just turned to the gardener and chuckled out a breathy

"Lead the way".