Chapter 67- Pranks, Car Rides, and Talks

Sunday, February 19th 8:30AM

Seymour Dojo and Fitness Center

Sondra woke to cursing, and Jamie was in the kitchen with a frozen bra.  Since she hadn't been Danica's target last night, Sondra snickered.  With a glance at the time, Sondra's laughter was replaced with a groan and she began to gather her things.  Moe would be there in thirty minutes.  Even though she was exhausted, Sondra smiled at her sleeping friends as she picked her way across the room.  Sure, she had been tired, but her nap had helped a lot.  Her main worry was letting something slip about Moe.  Sure, Danica made joking comments teasing about how they should go out, but hearing how her supposed best friend had taken advantage of her sleeping cousin might not go over well with Danica.  That hadn't come up though.  There was just so much else to talk about.  First, Danica and Hillary had to be caught up on her trip to New Orleans and her fight, and then Jamie had returned full of details about her date. Before she could let something else slip, she had pleaded exhaustion.  The others had seemed tired too, and they had all dozed off early, at least for a sleepover, but it seemed that Danica had managed to stay awake long enough to play at least one prank.

Before shutting the bathroom door, Sondra looked over her shoulder at Jamie still staring at her frozen bra, and suggested, "Try putting it under Danica's pillow.  I don't know if it will thaw any quicker, but it might be entertaining."

As the door shut behind her, Sondra saw Jamie's grin turn evil as she tiptoed over to where Danica was sleeping.

The shrieks from the other room started while Sondra was still in the shower, and the outraged sounds cheered her up even more.  After quickly dressing, Sondra peaking her head out cautiously.  It was much calmer, and Danica just gave her a disgruntled look as she announced, "Finally," and hurried into the vacated bathroom. 

Hillary was looking in the fridge blankly and yawning, before she glanced over and said, "Jamie is making us all join her in a workout since we are awake, you are the only one excused.  She glanced over at Jamie at the stove, and added, "At least she is making up some bacon first."  Hillary then refocused on Sondra, and added, "You look nice.  We don't always see you in a dress, and you found a purse even goes with that light blue.  Nice."

Sondra smiled at the compliment until Jamie glanced over and added her opinion, "It's nice, and short enough to show off your legs.  Moe won't be able to concentrate on the road."

At that, Sondra blushed, and didn't know if she should change or not.  It was strange that her secret crush was no longer a secret.  Admitting it out loud still seemed weird though.  Even as her face turned bright red, she grabbed some toast and bacon to stuff in her mouth instead if replying.  Before it was gone, she heard a car pull up, and went to check out the window. 

When she saw Moe had pulled up, she felt like she had been saved by the bell.  Without answering, she grabbed an extra slice of bacon and waved as she hurried out the door without answering.  Jamie's knowing laughter followed her down the stairs.  Sondra's feet moved faster when she heard Danica ask, "What's so funny?"  Only after hopping in next to Moe, did Sondra remember that she still didn't know what to say to Moe.

After a quick glance and brief nod of greeting, Moe focused solely on the road.  Sondra couldn't help wondering if Moe was having second thoughts about inviting her, or even worse, having trouble forgiving her for yesterday's debacle.  Just as she was about to suggest he just take her home, a honking horn made her realize their might be another reason for his silence.  He needed to concentrate with all the traffic.  After firmly ordering herself to be patient, Sondra looked out at the cars rushing by.
With Moe focused on the busy streets, Sondra hesitated to interrupt.  After a minute, Sondra decided that Moe would start talking when he was ready, until then, she looked out the window instead.

Great, Moe thought.  Not only hadn't he been able to think of what to say, but now Sondra looked gorgeous in her sundress.   How was he supposed to convince her that she could trust him not to attack her if he spent the whole conversation staring at her legs?  While  he navigated the crowded streets, he gripped the wheel and intently looked everywhere except at Sondra.  After leaving the worst traffic behind, Moe finally said, "We were going to talk during the ride today."

At first, Sondra nodded, but saw he was still had his eyes glued to the road, so she  answered, "How about you start by telling me what Libby wanted?"

Moe relaxed a little.  This question was one he at least knew the answer to.  « It wasn't about you.  It had to do with my mom," Moe informed her.

"I thought that she wasn't part of your life any more," Sondra said in surprise as she forgot her nervousness.

"She isn't, but there is the hearing coming up.  It isn't unusual for hearings to be delayed, but I'm on the list to be contacted about any changes.  It turns out that someone turned in a change of address form for me right before Kevin requested a delay.  Libby recognized my name when the form went across her desk and was suspicious."

After a brief moment of silence to process the most likely reasons, Sondra quietly asked, "What will happen to your mom for turning in the false change of address form?"

"They would have to prove it first.  The address was to a post office box not far from Mom's place, but across town from me.  There are security cameras in a lot of post offices now, and maybe the person working would be able to tell us who owns the box, but Libby promised to look into it.  If they prove it was Mom, she will go to jail again."

Sondra reached out and patted Moe's arm as she sympathized, "I'm sorry."

Moe took one hand off the wheel to hold her hand as he replied, "Me too."

As Sondra looked down at clasped hands, she began to hope the rest of their conversation might not be as bad as she had worried.  Before the nerves got to her again, she asked, "We'll still be friends after our talk, won't we?"

"If you still want that," Moe promised softly.

With a rush of anxiety, Sondra tried to figure out what that meant.   "Why wouldn't I want us to be friends?" asked Sondra, hoping for a clue to his feelings.

Moe blinked in surprise before he reluctantly admitted, "I thought you might not want to be around me after yesterday."  Before she could say anything, Moe rushed to continue earnestly, "I swear that I was asleep."

Trying for humor, she shared dryly, "I was confused at first.  After all, I never heard of sleep kissing before, only sleep walking.  But, your blank stare and shocked face clued me in."  She mimed how his hands had flown up and fluttered in the air.

Moe blushed, but he grinned at her teasing, before he grabbed her hand and stopped her from mocking him.  Then, he replied as he looked back at the road, "Well, I just wanted to make sure that you knew that it never would have happened if I had been awake."

Sondra flinched, and glanced out the window as she thought about his words.  They really didn't surprise her.  It was obvious now that while she was building up her hopes, he hadn't known what was going on.  Telling him that his dream had started because she had  kissed him might be the most honest thing to do, but it would just make things more awkward and he would have to try to find an easy way to let her down.  Eventually, Sondra realized that Moe was waiting for a response.  With some effort, she cleared her throat and made her voice as normal as possible as she answered, "Yeah.  I guess I know that."

Moe looked relieved at her words, but her tone must not have been quite as carefree as she had tried for, because after a moment of silence Moe glanced over again and asked, "So we're okay?"

They might not be great, but they were still friends, Sondra reminded herself.  He was still holding her hand, and someday things may change enough on his side that she could try again.  However, if that time ever came, she would make sure he was awake first.  With a firm nod, Sondra smiled and answered truthfully, "Yeah, we're okay."  Before Moe could ask any more questions, Sondra squeezed his hand and asked, "How much farther?  It seems that we have been driving for almost an hour.  We have to be there soon."

"Not quite an hour, but we are getting close."