Chapter 42- Pass or Fail

Thursday, February 16th 8:25am

Lincoln High School

Moe and Sondra didn't bother to stopping at their lockers, and ran through the almost empty halls. Just as the bell rang, Moe and Sondra slipped into Mr. Hannish's room.

Moe walked up to Mr. Hannish and handed him the report he had finished the night before. He was short of breath, but managed to ask, "Do you know when I can check back to see if my grade had risen enough?"

Mr. Hannish was already flipping through the report. Distracted, he glanced up and said, "You can try right after school, but I might need a little more time to average in the new scores especially with tests to grade today."

Moe nodded and headed back to his seat. He saw Danica lean over and heard her whisper to Sondra, "Good job on getting him here."

Moe ruffled Danica's perfectly styled hair, and muttered, "Can't mind your own business, can you?" but he couldn't help smiling at his cousin. He knew that she just worried about him. Besides, if she was the one that encouraged Sondra to follow him, he owed her big time.

Sondra flashed them a grin, until Mr. Hannish put down the report and brought out the tests. Everyone quieted down and Moe briefly wondered if he had studied enough.

As Moe looked around the room, he noticed several kids staring at him. He frowned, but it wasn't nearly as bad as he had thought it would be. After all, Sondra considered the scars to be marks of bravery, and she was the only one who mattered. With that thought he glanced at Sondra. Even with everything going on in her life she was determined to help him get his grades on track. She was just amazing. Now, the only thing he he had to do was raise his grades enough to stay on the tennis team. After all that studying, he felt ready, but he still hoped this test wouldn't throw him too much.

When the test finally got passed back to his spot, he and gave a sigh of relief. Even though Mr. Hannish had smiled evilly and told the class that this test would be a real challenge, Sondra had asked many of the questions the night before. Sondra had even come up with some harder questions that Mr. Hannish had missed. Moe was sure that he could get the answers right.

Even knowing the answers, Moe needed the whole time to finish the test. Then, as soon as he was done, he rushed to Chemistry, and Moe asked Ms. Brecker if she could grade his test today.

Ms. Brecker nodded in understanding even as she replied, "If today's test is anything like that last quiz you could raise your grade to a "B", but you have to give me to at least the end of the day."

As soon as Moe sat down, she handed out the test.

Class was almost done when Sondra was called to the office. Ms. Brecker frowned and argued that she was in the middle of a test.

Sondra quickly interrupted to say, "I'm done. I was just double checking my answers. I can go now." She stood up and gathered her things.

Moe reached over and squeezed her hand briefly. He found himself staring after her as she walked out. He shook his head and forced himself concentrate. After all, he told himself, Sondra had spent a lot of time helping him this week, and he couldn't blow it now.

After signing out and being rushed the few blocks to the courthouse, Sondra found herself waiting as the judge finished the cases before hers. It was interesting, to say the least, but she still hadn't seen her mom yet. She had spotted several familiar faces though.

Even though they didn't approach, Sondra saw Jamie's uncle, Paul, and even Captain Kastigo sitting on the back wall. They smiled and gave reassuring nods to Sondra. Her heart lightened, and she found herself smiling back, as she turned back to Ms. Mac Inness. Before she could say anything, the gavel banged loudly from up front.
Wide eyed, she watched as Judge Rheinholdt tossed a disrespectful man out of his court. She could tell that the judge had no patience for people talking back to him. As the guy was escorted out, Sondra's mom walked in. She was complaining loudly on her phone, and Sondra automatically winced in embarrassment.