Chapter 39- Stalker?

Thursday, February 16th 5:30am

Swisher Apartments

Sondra blinked at her alarm clock beeping at her, and wondered briefly why it was set so early. She sighed and sat up as she remembered that she was supposed to go with Moe. If he would even show up after last night.

He hadn't mentioned exercising this morning. From the way he had basically closed the door in her face, he might not be planning on helping her improve her tennis any more. She firmed her jaw and decided it didn't matter if he expected her or not. He owed her some lesson time, and he wasn't getting away that easily. Sondra narrowed her eyes and reminded herself, no more coasting along in relationships. Taking charge of her own future was the name of the game.

Sondra glanced at the clock and winced. Had she really wasted that much time on a pep talk? If she didn't hurry, she wouldn't have time to make Moe understand he wasn't brushing her off that easily AND still have a morning practice.

She threw on her clothes and grabbed her shoes. As she threw open her door, she tried to psych herself up to pound on the Simpson's door.

Moe barely managed to avoid knocking on Sondra's surprised forehead. He met her determined gaze and with a questioning look and said casually, "I'm glad to see that you're ready. If we hurry, we might be able to catch up to Jamie and Korbin. I'd like to know how it went with the DHS lady."

As Sondra processed his words and realized that he had assumed they would be practicing, she relaxed and wondered if she might have overreacted just a little bit. She followed Moe in silence as she re-evaluated the night before. She still didn't buy that Malcolm had gone after Korbin, but Moe HAD said that talking about his brother upset him. Maybe he had a good reason for not mentioning a brother. While she was glad that he wasn't seeming to pull away, she couldn't help but wonder what other secrets he had kept from her.

What it would take to find out Moe's secrets? As soon as the problem with her mom was settled, she would be able to focus more on Moe.  There was tons of information available to people who were good with computers.  Not the school files she reassured herself.  Just the documents available to anyone who know where to look.  She would still have to be careful though.  It wouldn't do for someone to find out that she was becoming a stalker, she told herself firmly. For the rest of the run, Sondra amused herself by coming up with a list of alternate ways to get the information, because she knew that she wasn't willing to just give up.

When they arrived at the courts, Jamie and Korbin were already serving.

Moe led the way to the fence, and quietly told Sondra to watch how they put the spin on their serves. Sondra obediently filed away her list away for later and focused. After a few serves, Sondra had to confess that she didn't see much difference.

With a smile Moe admitted that he had once told Sondra's grandmother the same thing. Then he went on to point out the small differences in angle of the racket, the approach, the swing, and which muscles that were used more. Eventually, Sondra was able to see the small differences used to create the spin. After noticing the details Moe had pointed out, Sondra began to focus on the person she was watching. Her friend seemed more relaxed, but Sondra still wanted reassurance that Ms. Mac Inness hadn't blown up at her for the detention.

About that time, Jamie noticed Sondra. She smiled and gave a thumbs up. Sondra decided that the silent signal was about last night's interview, so she agreed when Moe suggested that they go practice on their own.

There wasn't much time, so Sondra wasn't surprised by her inability to put spin on her serve. She was sure she could get it with enough practice though, and when Jamie and Korbin started picking up, Sondra gathered her things too. From the way Moe was hurrying to pick up, Sondra was sure that he wanted to talk to Jamie and Korbin too.

As they approached Korbin and Jamie, Moe nudged Sondra and whispered happily, "Korbin is smiling again."

Sondra glanced at Korbin in surprise and realized Moe was right. He had always been glaring and frowning at people before Jamie had come into their lives. Sondra had come to expect it, so his grim face hadn't really registered. Now that he was smiling again, Sondra realized what she had missed.

When they got close, Korbin confirmed the good news by practically singing, "Mac Inness was impressed."

Jamie grinned and added, "Ms. Mac Inness told me that the dojo could be a model of how well an emancipated minor could do with a support system." Jamie frowned and said in a worried tone, "She had lots of questions about how involved my uncles were, especially Sean. She must have asked me at least three times if they ever stayed over."

Korbin added in an amazed tone, "She actually seemed to like me, even though she knew that I was Jamie's boyfriend."

Jamie teased, "Maybe it was because your sisters were using you as a jungle gym."

Korbin rolled his eyes as he replied, "You missed the part when they told her that we danced around the living room and kissed when we babysat for them on Valentine's Day."

To Sondra's amusement, Jamie spluttered and blushed. Then she narrowed her eye and said, "They were supposed to be in bed. You even promised them most of the babysitting money to go to bed early."

Korbin flushed as he admitted, "The martial art monsters wouldn't give it back even after admitting to Ms. Mac Inness they hadn't been asleep."

Jamie sighed and rubbed her face and said, "They are so cute, it is hard to stay mad. Ms. Mac Inness didn't mention anything about it to me."

Sondra said, "Actually, she seemed relieved that you had a boyfriend. I would have thought that she would worry more, but she smiled when she saw Sean trying to cheer up Korbin last night."

Jamie looked like she had swallowed a worm, and stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, causing Sondra to run into her.

"What's wrong?" Sondra asked as she rubbed her nose.

After a moment, Jamie asked slowly, "Do you think her real purpose is to check out those old rumors my cousin started about why my uncles tried to get custody?"

Sondra thought about it briefly before she shrugged and answered, "It makes sense, but if that was her main concern then you don't have to worry."

Jamie nodded slowly as they approached the gate, but she was still frowning as they turned in opposite directions. In fact, "I actually was starting to like Ms. Mac Inness, but I don't like my uncles being investigated." Jamie's eyes narrowed dangerously as she murmured, "I might have to ask her about that the next time she comes."

Sondra started to shake her head, and warn Jamie to be careful, but she was already gone.

Would you be happy or wanting to pick an argument if you were Jamie?  Maybe you identify more with Sondra in this chapter and have been tempted to become a cyber stalker.  Let me know what you think.  You could also tap the little star to vote if you like.  More to come soon.