Chapter 52-Surprise Surprise

Friday, February 17th 3:15pm

Girls' Tennis Courts

Coach Marshall had lots of running and scrimmaging at practice again.  Sondra was matched with a freshman who had never played before.  Coach Marshall pulled Sondra to the side and insisted that Sondra take it easy.  Sondra nodded, but Coach Marshall gave her a doubtful look and continued, "I have noticed your recent improvement, so taking it easy one day won't remove you from your varsity spot." 

Somehow, Sondra managed to nod, even though her mouth was hanging open in shock.  When Coach Marshall moved off with a satisfied look on her face, Sondra suddenly worried that she was being given the spot in an effort to please her grandmother.  After all, she truly had never thought that she would make varsity.

Sondra had known that Danica, Hillary, and Jamie would probably make varsity with Susie, and probably Nancy.  There were a couple more spots, but she hadn't even tried to guess who else Coach Marshall would choose to be on the team. 

Luckily, having an easy practice gave her plenty of time to think.  Reluctantly, Sondra began the process of evaluating the stats on herself and her teammates for the last several weeks.  Even though she had done the same for her grandmother in the past, it was different when she was comparing herself to others. In fact, she had never been tempted before.  The results might have been too discouraging. 

As she computed more and more results, a feeling of confidence cautiously grew inside.  As she went back further, there was no doubt about it.  Even when she forced herself to be brutally honest, she was getting good enough to earn the spot.  Finally, Sondra stopped worrying and focused on helping the younger players.  Even if she couldn't practice at full strength, there was another way to help the team.  Besides, she didn't want jinx the results, because nothing was definite yet.  It would be best to forget the whole conversation until the coach announced her final decision.

Even with her own good advice echoing in her head, Sondra had trouble focusing until she was walking with Moe toward the dojo.  Only then was she able to focus on other things, like the dance.  After a short discussion, they decided that Moe would walk her home after work to get ready for the dance.  It would have been fun to get ready with her friends, but Danica and Hillary had plans, and since Jamie couldn't go, it seemed wrong to get ready with her.  She just hoped that Jamie wasn't too bored tonight.

Friday's were Jamie's easy night.  There was just the one self-defense class and it started a little later than the classes on the other nights. Since the dance didn't start until 8:30pm most of her class would still come.  Some people would still skip, and there wouldn't be any guys around until the self defense class was done.  Korbin was cooking that night, and Moe often hung out with him, but they both stayed on the balcony outside of the apartment.  All the other guys had learned to stay away. 

When the self defense class had first started, several guys had thought it would be fun to just watch the class for entertainment, but Jamie put a stop to that.  The very first session she had asked them to volunteer.  After just a few throws, the guys disappeared until after the self-defense class was done.  The most amusing case had been when Finn had been matched with his sister.  Ever since, he made sure his sister was long gone before he showed his face.  It was for the best.  Even though she really enjoyed the class, she was still a little put out that he had signed her up without asking first. 

On Fridays, Jamie usually made a huge salad and Korbin took care of grilling. Jamie had shared that her uncles had made Korbin sit through several hours of instruction before trusting him to run the grill.  Sondra was sure Moe would have teased him about it, but he wasn't allowed to even touch the grill.  All he could do was observe and provide company.

There had been plenty of laughs about how protective Jamie's uncles were over the grill.  That had only lasted until Korbin made the best burgers any of them had ever tasted.  After that, everyone decided that Jamie's uncles knew what they were talking about. 

Sondra was helping Jamie get set up when Ms. Mac Inness came in unexpectedly.  At first, Sondra worried something new had happened, but then she saw Sean waiting expectantly at the office door.  While Sondra grinned at the realization that Sean had taken his own advice, Jamie was glaring.  Suddenly, Sondra remembered how angry Jamie had been about her uncles being investigated again. 

When Jamie stalked across the dojo, Sondra gave a brief prayer that she wouldn't do anything to jeapordize her emancipated minor status.  Sondra knew that hope was in vain when she heard Jamie blurted out rudely, "What are you doing here?"

Ms. Mac Inness was still blinking in surprise at Jamie's tone when Sean rushed over. 

With a smooth, "Excuse us," to Ms. Mac Inness Sean quickly dragged Jamie into his office.

Ms. Mac Inness started to follow, but Sondra stepped in front of the door. 

"I need to know that she is okay," insisted Ms. Mac Inness.

Sondra shook her head and reassured, "Jamie is fine.  Please don't give her a bad evaluation because of this.  She is doing well here, and doesn't deserve to have to go back to the shelter."

"I wouldn't send someone back to the shelter just because they don't like me, but I can't back off because of a personality clash.  I have to make sure that she is safe here," said Ms. Mac Inness insisted firmly as she started for the door determinedly.

The burst of laughter from Sondra surprised Ms. Mac Inness into stopping long enough for Sondra to block the door again.  Sondra stifled her giggles to explain, "Sorry for laughing.  I'm just glad that you aren't going to send her back to the shelter for talking back.  You don't have to worry about Jamie being hurt by her uncles though.  I have watched her spar against them.  She wins two out of three times against all of them except Bandit.  He is good enough that she only wins some of the time."

"If that is so, how could Sean drag her away?" asked Ms. Mac Inness as she nervously stared at the door.  It didn't help that there were raised voices coming from inside.  However, Jamie was the only one yelling. 

Sondra noticed  Ms. Mac Inness's accidental use of Sean's first name, but put it to the side as she tried to clarify the situation by explaining, "Jamie respects him enough to do as he tells her, at least most of the time.  She probably wanted to talk to him too, and he wanted her to stop acting stupid about your investigation.  He knows how Jamie gets when someone she cares about is threatened, and doesn't want her to do something that would land her back the youth shelter.  In her mind, protecting others trumps any consequence she could earn."

Libby's eyes narrowed flashed to Sondra before she pointedly insisted, "Wait.  You mean that they all know that I'm not just investigating Jamie's situation, but her uncles too?  Impossible.  I knew they would figure it out soon, but when Sean invited me over I was sure that I had a little longer."

After quickly weighing the outcomes, Sondra answered, "Sean knows, but he understands.  He even told me that he hopes you finish your investigation quickly."

A slight shadow passed over Ms. Mac Inness's face as she said, "Yeah, I guess he would like me out of his life."  After a moment she gave a sigh and said, "Thanks for explaining how Jamie's priorities.  That actually explains a lot of things that weren't adding up."  With that, she stopped trying to edge around Sondra.  From the way that she stared at the doorway Sondra knew that Libby Mac Inness still wished she was in there, but she settled for just pacing back and forth as she waited.