Chapter 51- Teasing Friends

Friday, February 17th 5:45am

Swisher Street Apartments

When the annoying alarm sounded, Sondra woke with a smile.  After all, she had a plan for what was wrong in her life and a date for that night.  Life was good.  A quick glance at the clock had her hopping out of bed and stretching cautiously.  Even her shoulder felt better.  It ached, but not nearly as badly as the night before.  Danica and Samuel might actually have been right about the ice.  For this morning, a run might be all she should do, but she might be able to actually hit a couple of balls at practice.

Sondra rushed to get ready and managed to be out in the hall just as Moe was coming out of his apartment.  She felt a burst of pleasure when he smiled as soon as he saw her.

Moe asked, "Where do you want to run?"

Sondra shrugged and suggested, "How about toward the courts, and through the park?"

Moe nodded, and took off with Sondra following close behind.  As they ran past the tennis courts, they saw Korbin and Jamie.  They didn't stop, but waved as they went past. 

When Jamie gave Korbin an admiring look, Sondra suddenly realized that he was playing without his shirt again.  Over the years, he had done that so often that she had stopped even noticing.  Even after Jamie and Korbin were out of sight, Sondra kept thinking about it.  When they paused to catch their breath at the water fountain, Sondra surprised Moe by asking, "Now that your secret is out do you think that you will run or work out shirtless, like Korbin?"

Moe looked down at his t-shirt with Under-Armour layer, and frowned.  "It has become such a habit that I didn't think of it this morning, but just the idea makes me nervous.  I don't think that I would be comfortable enough to go shirtless."

Sondra hid her disappointment, and replied, "I can understand that," before getting a drink and heading back.   

Lincoln High School, 8:00am

After arriving at school, Moe left Sondra with Jamie and Hillary as he ran to check in with Mr. Hannish and Ms. Brecker about his grades.  Sondra was sure he would do fine, but she knew he was worried.  On the way to school, she had tried to reassure him that she as sure he could stay on the team. His answer, "That isn't what I am worried about," had surprised her.  After all the taunting and how he had seemed driven to always beat Aaron, she had thought that making the varsity squad was the most important thing to him.  From how he had looked at her, Sondra hoped that he meant that she was more important to him, but couldn't quite make herself ask. 

Sondra couldn't stop thinking about that, and Jamie had to call her name several times to get her attention.  When Sondra finally turned towards her, Jamie asked casually, "How was your run with Moe this morning?  I got used to seeing you practicing a couple of spots down, but I guess you couldn't with your arm."

Still distracted, Sondra answered casually, "The run was fine.  My arm isn't bothering me too much now."

"That is good,"  Jamie replied as she stared at Sondra intently.  When Sondra continued to stare down the hall, she asked, "What's with you?  Are you worrying about Moe's grades?"

Sondra blushed as she answered, "No, I'm sure Moe was able to pull them up.  I was just thinking."

Hillary grinned at Sondra's blush and said dryly, "You have enough worries to distract ten people, but from that blush you were thinking about a boy."  A considering glance down the hall Moe went down had her turning back and avidly demanding, "Well don't just stand there.  Spill it."

Sondra's laughter surprised herself.  Hillary was so blunt after she opened up, and this time she was completely accurate too.  Can't hide anything from close friends, and maybe she didn't need to, Sondra thought.  After a quick glance to make sure there wasn't anyone close enough to hear, and she answered, "I was just thinking about some things Moe and I talked about."

"Like what?" demanded Hillary.

Trying to explain her confusion over what Moe was worried about seemed difficult and didn't seem like it was her information to share.  So, she answered, "I asked Moe if he would ever exercise shirtless like Korbin does now that his secret was out."

Hillary's grin widened as she asked, "What did he say?"

Sondra sighed before answering, "He said he wouldn't feel comfortable doing that."

Hillary winked before saying in a serious tone, "I understand why you were disappointed that he wouldn't run half naked though.  You are just a closet slut."

That surprised laughter out of both Sondra and Jamie, even though Sondra felt her face turning red. 

Hillary smiled at their response before she turned her attention to Jamie.  She didn't notice Korbin coming up behind her as she asked, "What are laughing about?  You aren't any better.  Everybody knows that part of the reason you lose to Korbin so often is because you can't concentrate when he takes off his shirt either." 

When Korbin's voice rumbled right behind her, "Really?  I thought I was just that good," Hillary jerked in surprise. 

Another round of laughter rang out from Sondra and Jamie as Hillary's eyes got big, and she turned bright red.  She obviously didn't know if she should be embarrassed or guilty in the face of Korbin's disappointment.

When Hillary eventually gave a squeak in response, Jamie stopped laughing enough to reassure Hillary, "Never mind him, he knows that I like his muscles.  I think taking off the shirt when he plays me falls under strategy."

A confirming glance at Korbin showed his face transform from looking hurt to a teasing grin.  Danica was desperate to distract a teasing Korbin and Hillary looked around desperately.  Instead of having to figure out how to respond, she interrupted them by saying, "Look.  There's Moe," as she tried to fade into the background again.

Everyone turned to see Moe running down the hall.  Sondra was worried something was wrong, until she saw the huge smile on his face.  He didn't stop when he got to them, but swooped Sondra in a huge bear hug that lifted her far from the ground as he proclaimed, "We did it!"

Sondra laughed in delight, and hugged him back.  When he sat her down she asked, "So, you can stay on the team?"

Moe laughed out loud and gloated, "I aced the tests, and I'm not even close to academic probation anymore.  Mr. Hannish even said that if I continue like this I can easily bring it up to a high "B" by the end of the quarter even without any more extra credit."

Sondra smiled in delight as she answered, "I knew you could do it.  Once you set your mind on something you never give up.  You have never given yourself enough credit for how smart you are."

Moe beamed down at her as he replied, "Maybe not, but you always believed in me anyway."

Jamie rolled her eyes, but was smiling as she interrupted, "Save the mutual appreciation for later.  We are going to be late for class."