Chapter 45- Over-react and Banishment

Thursday, February 16th 3:40pm

Lincoln High School tennis courts

Neither teacher had averaged Moe's grades yet, and he didn't want to stick around any longer. He just wanted to get out to practice where he could keep an eye on Sondra and make sure she was safe. Instead of waiting, he promised them that he would check back first thing in the morning.

He changed quickly and hurried out to the courts. As he walked up, he tried to spot Sondra among the girls serving. When he didn't see her there he glanced at the lone runner and realized that it was only Nancy. Moe was beginning to panic when he reached Korbin and demanded, "Where is Sondra?"

Korbin looked over with a frown. "Don't over-react," he warned.

THAT did nothing to calm Moe down, and he repeated his question in a growl.

Korbin shushed him and said, "She got hit with a serve."

Moe started to leave to check on her, and Korbin grabbed his arm. He insisted quietly, "You were already late for practice. The coach is letting that go, but if the coach can stay over here when her granddaughter has been hurt, then you need to stay too."

Moe looked over at the unhappy face of Coach Riley, and saw she was watching him with narrowed eyes. He reluctantly joined the group serving. He stayed and played, but practice had never seemed to take so long. When practice was finally done, Moe rushed over to see how Sondra was doing.

He skidded to a stop a couple of feet away when he saw that Danica was checking to see if the swelling had gone down. Coach Riley shouldered past Moe, pulling Samuel in her wake. They joined Danica, and immediately began discussing the best way to treat the injury. After a few minutes, when Sondra got tired of them poking and prodding her shoulder and talking about her instead of to her, she got up to leave.

Moe hurriedly helped her gather her things, and swung her backpack onto his shoulder before she could grab it. As Moe and Sondra walked away, Coach Riley left Danica and Samuel still arguing about the best treatment, and hurried to catch up.

Coach Riley switched into grandma mode and asked, "Where do you think you are going?"

Sondra didn't even slow down as she replied, "It is my turn to help cook at the dojo. Hillary and I are making beef stew, and I agreed to start it. I can't wait too long, or it won't be done. I have the vegetables and spices, and Hillary took the stew meat over last night." Sondra looked over and offered, "You are welcome to come eat with us."

Sondra's grandma frowned, and considered. She said, "I guess that I could come for awhile, but I'm sure that someone would cover if you didn't feel up to it tonight. You will need someone to help you take care of that shoulder."

Sondra kept walking and answered, "There will be plenty of people to help me with my shoulder there. The food should be done about 6:30pm if I can get started right away, but if you are late that is fine too."

Coach Riley frowned at Sondra's bright smile and determined expression, and eased back as she promised, "I'll check on you later."

As they pulled further away from Coach Riley, Sondra let her smile fade, and Moe noticed how Sondra was very careful to not jostle her shoulder. She had seemed fine moments ago, but now he realized it had been an act. She was good at pretending things didn't bother her. He wondered how many times he had been fooled.

When they arrived, Sondra headed straight up to start the food. Moe stored their things before following her. There was a very small pile of cut vegetables and Sondra was staring down at the large pile that still needed chopped with a frustrated look on her face.