Chapter 15- Maybe He Won't Remember Me

Monday, February 13th, 12:00pm

Lincoln High School Lunchroom

Moe watched Susie walk away before he looked at Sondra with worry.  He was glad that she wasn't pursuing him any more, but she seemed blown away by the news that Malcolm was coming back.  He still couldn't believe that Sondra had made up such a large story.  When Susie found out that Sondra was just running interference she would be a target.  He tried not to overreact, but couldn't help asking, "What will you do when Malcolm doesn't show up tomorrow?"

Sondra smiled over her shoulder at him and replied, "Oh, but he will.  Ms. Johnson told me this morning that Malcolm was coming back.  I just didn't know that I would be able to use the information.  I guess that there is at least one good thing that came of his return."

With Sondra's words, Moe was finally able to calm down.  Worry about Sondra had even driven away the worry about his quiz.  As they settled in at their usual table with Jamie and Korbin, he was able to joke with his team mates.  However, by the end of lunch the rumors of Malcolm's return had even made it to their isolated area.  Everyone seemed to have something to say about Malcolm's return from the youth shelter. 

Everyone except Jamie that is.  Whenever his name came up, a small smile appeared on her face before she quickly took another bite of food.  Eventually, Moe noticed the pattern and remembered that Jamie may have been at the same youth shelter as Malcolm.  As the thought dawned on him, he blurted, "Did you know Malcolm when you were at the shelter?"

Sondra and the rest of the table stopped eating to listen to Jamie's answer.  She flushed and said, "Just a little. We may have bumped into each other a couple of times." When everyone kept looking at her for more details, she added hopefully, "Maybe he won't remember me."

Danica's eye narrowed and she leaned in with a grin as she asked pointedly, "Why?  What happened?"

Jamie turned bright red and said defensively, "He was giving Ms. Nelson a hard time and she couldn't help anyone else.  Whenever she turned her back on him he was starting problems."

Hillary asked, "Is that the same Ms. Nelson that joined our self-defense class and that your Uncle Bandit is dating?"

Jamie nodded and said, "Bandit met her at my hearing for emancipated minor status.  She put a lot of extra time and effort into helping me."

Danica wasn't letting the issue go though, and she asked pointedly, "What did you do to Malcolm?"  Moe couldn't help grinning.  Danica was as determined as a bulldog with a bone when she got a whiff of a good story. 

Jamie squirmed before she answered, "One day Malcolm was being particularly demanding.  I needed help on some forms, and Ms. Nelson couldn't leave his side.  When I went over for help, he grabbed my wrist."

Moe noticed that Korbin's eyes narrowed.  His grin had disappeared. The story wasn't funny anymore.  Korbin had that dangerous look in his eye that he got when he was looking forward to a fight.  Moe remembered Malcolm well.  He was tall, wide, and had been the star blocker of the football team.  

Sondra seemed to have notice Korbin's expression too.  After a quick glance his way, she quickly said to Jamie, "Please tell me he didn't get away with that crap."

Jamie blushed a darker red, but grinned at the novelty of Sondra being even a little crude.  "Some people would say that I went overboard.  After all, he only grabbed my arm, when I started hitting.  He didn't even lose consciousness though, and he was the one who declined to press charges.  Besides, he settled down after that, and didn't keep trying to bully the littler kids or monopolize Ms. Nelson."  Jamie glanced away before adding, "I only hit him one other time, and he probably didn't deserved it that time. It was right before court, and I was easily annoyed."

Korbin relaxed as Jamie talked about beating up Malcolm, and even smiled. If you didn't know about Jamie's extensive martial arts training the idea would seem preposterous.  After all, Jamie was only about five foot two, and hardly more than a hundred pounds.  Malcolm had to outweigh her by at least a hundred fifty pounds.  No one would have expected her to be able to put down a guy that big.  Moe had seen her spar against her uncles though and she could be viscous.  Her uncles were all large men, and they didn't go easy on her.  She didn't need them too.  She won against them on a regular basis.  Jamie knew how to turn her small size to an advantage, and she knew exactly how and where to hit a person.  Even though he didn't like that she had to use her skills, Moe had no doubt that she could handle even someone Malcolm's size. 

Moe had also watched as Jamie had recently proven, repeatedly, that she could take Korbin down, and she was careful not to hurt him.  She had decided that he needed to learn martial arts, and talked him into joining some lessons.  Korbin seemed to be picking up the moves quickly, but Moe had noticed that any time he started to act too full of himself she easily put him back on the floor.  Not that Korbin seemed to mind.

Korbin was, even now, reassuring her, "I'm sure he deserved it.  You were under a lot of stress.  Anytime you want to knock him out, you have my full support." 

Sondra exchanged a relieved look with Moe.  He was just glad that Korbin was satisfied with Jamie's response.  Both knew how hard Korbin was trying to control his temper and stay out of trouble, but he was very protective of Jamie too.  Korbin was strong, and he could fight, but Moe wasn't sure how he would do in a fight against Malcolm.  After all, Malcolm was built like a tank, and had actually put people in the hospital.   

With that worry out of the way, Moe and Sondra ate quickly and spent the rest of the time studying. He was actually feeling confident when the bell rang to signal the end of lunch.   Sondra watched Moe hurry down the hall to retake the quiz while the information was still fresh in his head.  She went on to study hall.

Usually, she had no trouble focusing, but today she stared blankly at a book until Moe came in and gave her a confident smile.  He slid into the open spot next to her and whispered,  "Ms. Brecker didn't think of anything that you hadn't already drilled in.  I know that I aced that one."

Sondra grinned.  "I'm glad that worry is over.  Now we can focus on American History, and make sure you are ready for both tests on Thursday."

Moe made face, but nodded as they got to work.

Hope you enjoyed the glimpse of Jamie's past and Korbin's reaction.  I don't want to forget about them, even though this book focuses more on others.  Please let me know your thoughts and any corrections I need to do.  I have some difficulty making corrections from my phone app, but I will get to them as soon as I get a chance on my computer.  If you like the chapter, but don't want to leave a message, please consider tapping the little star to vote.  I would appreciate it.  Thanks.