Chapter 23- Where Were You?

Monday, February 13th 11:05pm

Moe's Apartments

Moe shouldered open the door to his apartment, and barely managed to go through without catching the backpack or board on the door frame. Only after he went through did the lack of noise register. Earlier, when the rest of his family was still at Jamie's place, he had expected the quiet. By now everyone should be home, and when everyone was home it was never quiet. When he turned around, he saw that his aunt, uncle, and all three cousins just watching him. Moe looked between their somber faces before asking, "What? Did something happen?"

Aunt Joanna narrowed her eyes, and her words had a bite to them. "Yeah something happened. When we got back from the dojo there were messages from TWO of your teachers about your grades, and you stayed out an hour past curfew. Where were you?"

"I was with Sondra," Moe started to explain.

Danica's head popped up in surprise and he could hear the shock in her voice as she asked, "You were on a date with Sondra?"

Moe felt his cheeks flush and wanted to ask if that would really be so bad, but his Uncle Brian was already complaining, "We needed what time we had left to work with you and make a plan. Don't you realize that this could effect you playing tennis?"

Moe shook his head and tried to reassure him, "I have it handled."

Danica exchanged looks with Henry before she said gently, "Moe, we all like  Sondra, but you should have come home instead of going on a date. Henry said that you were studying while you made supper, but we both know that you can't get it on your own. I'll work with you again, and this time I won't get frustrated and give up even if it takes all night."

Moe wavered between feeling insulted at her lack of confidence and grateful for her offer of support. Her seeming acceptance of his supposed date with Sondra won his affection, but he was still tempted to make her stay up studying with him all night. A quick glance at his aunt and uncle had him confessing, "I wasn't on a date with Sondra. She is helping me with schoolwork."

They exchanged doubtful looks, and Moe realized that his flirting and constant dating had even affected the trust he had thought he had built up with his family. Moe struggled to control his resentment, but couldn't help frowning as he continued, "She explained chemistry last night, talked to the teachers with me today, and we finished an extra credit project for Mr. Hannish tonight. I was able to retake the chemistry quiz today, and it seemed to go well." He looked back at the worried faces of his aunt and uncle, and he added, "We really do have it under control."

Aunt Joanna exchanged looks with Uncle Brian, and her face softened. Then, she said cautiously, "If you were doing schoolwork right next door with Sondra then I guess I won't be grounding you. She always was able to explain schoolwork to you. You still should have let us know where you were though. We couldn't even reach you on your phone."

Moe nodded and opened the tri-fold board as he said, "I shut it off so I wouldn't get distracted by texts when I was working." At his aunt's understanding but doubtful nod he added, "Just have a look at this project."

Moe watched her face carefully as he opened up the tri-fold board. He could tell that she was impressed.

"You did this all tonight?" she asked, and Moe knew that he was no longer in trouble. At his nod, she leaned over and kissed the crown of his head. "Sorry for yelling. I was just worried," she admitted.

Moe hugged her back. "It's okay. I should have said something about having trouble with my classes a week or so ago. It was almost too late for even Sondra to help me. I've got to go to bed now though," he said as he re-folded the board. "Sondra and I are practicing before school, so I'm getting up early."

Danica asked, "Is that a date?"

Moe blushed but rolled his eyes and left shaking his head, even as he wished it was true. It was too soon though. He felt her curious gaze following him down the hall, and wondered how long before she would be in demanding answers. He found the MP3 player as he emptied his pockets and he couldn't help wondering what was on it. The only thing he could think of was play list of love songs to express her feelings, but this was Sondra. Not likely. He snorted at his own thoughts. Not knowing what else to do, he put in the ear buds and hit play.

Danica watched him leave in frustration. Why couldn't they figure out that they were perfect for each other? Sure it was fun to tease and see if they blushed, but they should have admitted their feelings to her at least by now. Instead they both were just acting like good friends. She was afraid that if she didn't do something soon she would scream.

After a few minutes, she followed Moe down the hall and knocked on his door. When Moe didn't tell her to go away, she poked her head in. She was surprised to see him sitting on the edge of his bed with headphones on. He had gathered his pajamas, but not gotten any farther.

When Moe saw Danica he blushed and pushed the pause button. Danica watched his cheeks turn red, and recognized the MP3 player as Sondra's. As she crossed the room, she thought about swiping the MP3 and running to the bathroom to see what was on it, but settled for just making herself comfortable on his bed. She wasn't twelve anymore, and she wanted some answers. She could always swipe the MP3 player later.

Moe frowned at her and said, "Go away. What happened to knocking first?"

Danica rolled her eyes and said, "I did knock. You just didn't hear me. I needed to talk to you."

Moe sat up straight at her serious tone and asked, "What about?"

"What is going on with you and Sondra?" Danica demanded.

"We are helping each other. That is what friends do," Moe said defensively.

Maybe so, but the last I knew you guys were still half mad at each other."

"We have been fixing things. Besides, I wasn't mad. I just didn't know Jamie had gone crazy and made Sondra blame her to prevent Korbin from being suspended."

Danica narrowed her eyes and she insisted, "Jamie didn't go crazy. She was protecting someone she loved. If Korbin had done the same thing you wouldn't be calling him crazy."

Moe hesitated, but eventually admitted, "Maybe not, but now that the DHS worker is coming, Sondra is feeling guilty."

Danica stopped glaring, and shared, "Jamie is good at planning things, but this time it might have backfired." She glanced at Moe and said slyly, "The best solution would have been for you and Sondra to make out. A day's suspension wouldn't have hurt either of you like it would Jamie or Korbin."

Moe gaped at her like a fish out of water and turned bright red. Danica couldn't help smiling. A reaction at last. When he didn't respond, she continued, "Never mind. It is too late now.... unless you want to tell me that you finally made a move tonight."

Moe's response of, "No moves. Just schoolwork," was calmly stated, but the way he wouldn't meet her gaze told Danica otherwise. She almost cheered. Something had happened, or Moe had at least wanted it to. That was enough for now.  Besides, she had other questions still. She casually asked, "Why do you have Sondra's player?"

Moe gripped it tighter, and he watched her suspiciously. He had been the victim of the snatch and dash too many times to fall for her innocent act. Danica almost sighed in disappointment, but then Moe answered, "She came up with something to help me learn about history. It is about the time before World War II."

Danica plucked one ear bud from his ear and leaned in to listen. All she heard was Sondra's voice talking about some people in the World War II. With a sigh, Danica returned ear bud and gave up. She didn't even bother saying anything as she exited while shaking her head.

Moe decided to ignore his annoying cousin, and focus on the story that Sondra had made up. Just in case Danica decided to come back with more questions, he quickly got ready for bed. Besides, he was looking forward to hearing Sondra tell him a story until he fell asleep.

Anyone out there like Danica and feel they can relate to her? Fell free to tell me what you liked and didn't. Thanks for reading, and feel free to tap the little star to vote. More to come soon.