Chapter 12- Flirts, Quizzes, and Rumors

Monday, February 13th 8:15am

Lincoln High School

When Sondra heard her name hissed out as she hurried down the hallway, she turned to the office and spotted Ms. Johnson, the secretary, motioning her over with an embarrassed smile. With a reassuring grin, Sondra hurried over.

"I know that you need to get to class, but could you help me log in real quick first? I can't seem to make it work, and Ms. Dean has given me a large stack of items to enter this morning."

Sondra wished that she could just hurry on to class. She had felt uncomfortable around Ms. Johnson for the last few weeks, but that wasn't Ms. Johnson's fault. Ms. Johnson had been around her whole life. She still baked cookies for Sondra every birthday, and Ms. Johnson needed her.

It also wasn't Ms. Johnson's fault that recent upgrades had made it necessary for a secretary to be adept on the computer. There were just some people that would always have "technical difficulties", and that shouldn't cost her a good job. Sondra had been trying her best to help Ms. Johnson adjust to her new responsibilities.

In the weeks she had spent helping in the office, Sondra had seen Ms. Johnson type in her code several times. Once would have been enough to stick in her mind. The problem was the one and only time that she had used the code without permission. Even though it have seemed like a good reason at the time, the guilt was still there and Sondra vowed to not hack the school computer system ever again.

Just as Ms. Johnson was finally figuring out how to boot up the computer and log in to do the basics, the new security that Jamie's family had recently put in added an extra step or two. Even though Sondra had written the steps out for her several times, Ms. Johnson would think she had the steps down on Friday and forget them over the weekend. At least today Sondra was prepared. With a smooth move, Sondra quickly pulled out a card that she had made up this morning that had the steps on it, and Ms. Johnson's codes.

Seeing Ms. Johnson smile as she clutched the card like a drowning person clutches a life preserver soothed a little of Sondra's guilt enough to follow Ms. Johnson into the office.

Sondra checked her watch and leaned on the counter as she proudly watched Ms. Johnson log in smoothly. "What's new today, Ms. J.?" Sondra asked as the computer beeped and whirled.

Ms. Johnson beamed like a kid on Christmas morning as the computer booted up correctly. With a quick glance around to make sure the office was still empty, she shared, "Malcolm Salvador is coming back from the youth shelter. He starts tomorrow."

The last name reverberated in Sondra's skull. The same last name, she thought, but it was probably a coincidence. After all, lots of people shared the same last name. It didn't mean they were related. As the rest of Ms. Johnson's words registered, her eyes grew big and she asked cautiously, "Is he... better?"

Ms. Johnson shrugged before replying, "I think that he finally found a teacher that could handle him. He managed to meet the goals that were set up to return." She paused before whispering, "I think it is a mistake. He was the biggest bully around, and learned it from the cradle. I was here when his dad and uncles came through this school. It was a Catholic school then, and I have to say that those nuns didn't give up easily. They tried everything, several times, including the paddle. Nothing got through to them. Each one eventually went too far and was kicked out."

That sounded like Tony, Sondra thought reluctantly. However, she decided not to worry about it for now and she just shrugged as she said, "Susie might be happy. Her boyfriend will be back for Valentine's Day."

Ms. Johnson smiled and said, "That reminds me. Who are you taking to the dance on Friday?"

An involuntary blush colored Sondra's cheeks as she replied, "I'd forgotten, but it will probably be the same as every other time... either I go alone or I stay home. Since it is the Valentine's Dance it would be weird to go alone, so I will probably stay home."