Finally

>Virgil<

Both of our heads snapped up at the sound of a knock at the door. The horrible feeling in my gut gripped me in a tight, suffocating squeeze. That's him, isn't it? I don't know why I was so sure of this, but I was so positive about this fact I felt slightly sick. Everything had been perfect. Roman returned my feelings, he became my boyfriend, and I was finally part of a loving family with Patton as my awesome brother. This wasn't supposed to happen. Why did he ever had to have followed Roman here?

We both just sat there for a long time, both too shocked and scared to move, both just staring fixedly at the door. After what felt like an eternety of silence, a fist knocked on the door once again.

Finally, I stood up. If it was him, I didn't want Roman to have to answer it. Hesitantly, I approached the door. There was no peephole, so I couldn't look out to see who it was. My hands shaking slightly, I turned the knob slowly and opened the door, bracing myself.

"Hi!" a voice said. This was not Deci. It was Thomas! Standing at the door with a smile, 'Could Be Gayer' shirt and all. I blinked in surprise. "Virgil, right?" he asked. I nodded. "Cool. Well, uh, I brought some cookies! We've made loads to give out to people all along this street to, you know, introduce ourselves to everyone." he handed me a big plate piled high with cookies - chocolate chip(yes!!), snickerdoodle, double chocolate, shortbread with icing, sugar cookies - there were even gingerbread cookies.

I stared at them hungrily. "Wow. Thanks!"

Thomas brushed a bit of hair out of his eyes and smiled sheepishly. "It's nothing. We didn't know if there were any peanut allergies in the family, so there's no peanut butter cookies. Hope that's ok."

I looked back at him and shook my head. "No, that's fine. This is great!"

"Whoa. That's a lot of cookies." I jumped slightly. Roman had appeared behind me, peering at the gift with surprised eyes.

Thomas regarded Roman for a moment. "Are you Roman?" he asked, squinting as if he were trying to remember something.

Roman looked up at Thomas. He was quiet for a moment, taking him in like he hadn't seen him before. I was a little confused. If Thomas was Deci's brother, shouldn't Roman know him? Finally, Roman nodded. "Yes, it is I, Roman the Great!" he took a bow. I couldn't help but laugh a little and roll my eyes. Thomas laughed, too. I decided I liked him, even if I didn't like his brother.

Thomas pulled out a slip of paper from his pocket. "Well, then. This is for you, Roman the Great!" he handed over the note. Roman hesitated, then took it with a puzzled look. Thomas turned back to me. "Tell the rest of your family I said hello. I'd better get back to the house before my brother burns it down." at the alarmed expressions on both our faces at that, he explained quickly with an amused glint in his eye, "we're making more cookies." and then he was gone.

I closed the door and turned to Roman, who was staring at note in confusion. I looked down at it as well. "You . . . you think it's from him?" I asked hesitantly. He nodded slowly, turning the face of the note toward me so I could see a small signature written in the corner. Deci. I tensed, my blood running cold. Roman hesitated a long time. "Should I open it?"

I let out a breath. "I mean . . . I guess." If it were a box, I would've been more worried, but since it was just paper. . . I mean, you can't hide anything in paper, unless it's words.

A tense moment passed. Then, very slowly and carefully, Roman unfolded the sheet. His eyes widened and my heart plunged, fearing the worst. But then his expression crumbled into a look of pure confusion and bewilderment. "Wh-what does it say?" I urged anxiously.

Roman looked up at me, then down at the paper, and back again. Finally, he handed me the note. I turned it around so the words faced me. I was stunned.

On the paper, written in perfect calligraphy in dark green ink, were the words 'I'm Sorry'.

___________

Well. It's been a while, hasn't it? I honestly forgot this existed for a while until I logged in on accident today and found 1K notifications and this waiting for me. 51.3K people have taken the time to read this thing, huh? Well, I guess ya'll deserve some closure.

This is the last chapter of this book(most likely). Thank you to everyone who has read this and commented and taken the time to show you're appreciation for something I just did for fun in my spare time. I'm glad people liked it. It's been a great experience, and I'm sorry to end it here. I know I had a lot of ideas for this that just never got flushed out. Oh, well. We had fun, right? That's what counts. Anyway, thank you all - guys, gals, and non-binary pals, peace out. ✌💝🧡💛💚💙💜🤎🖤🤍

Oh, and for those of you dying to know what happens after they read those two little words and what the heck that note even means.....I'm not telling you. ;P