Talk

~Roman~

We sat on the couch in Virgil's living room. He was watching intently, the curiousity in his eyes almost painful. "You're really going to tell me everything?"

I took a deep breath, "..yeah."

He stuffed his hands into his hoodie pockets, as if he was suddenly almost as unsure of this as I was. But the curiousity was still there, and he still said, "So?" and now there was definetly no other way to get out of this besides telling him. The thought occured to me to lie, but I immediatly shoved it away, revolted. I was not going to anything like him.

Taking another deep breath, running a hand through my hair, I began. "I met Deci at the new school I went to 6th grade year - after we moved. He seemed nice enough, and we quickly became friends. I didn't know anyone after all, and it was nice to have at least one person that I could talk to.

"But he was only nice on the outside. He had this 'friend' group that he dragged me into. They were constantly getting into trouble, and they'd drag me down with them, pressuring me to do things I didn't want to do. I don't know why I listened to him. I was an idiot. Then Deci would lie to get himself out of trouble - but only himself. He'd let the rest of us take the heat, as long as he was safe - usually the blame rested on me. I tried to confront him about it, but he just lied straight to my face to weasel his way out of it. He would lie about practically everything. I don't even know if he's capable of the truth.

"After 6th grade ended, I stopped responding to his texts and calls, hoping that I could cut myself off from him. After a while, he stopped texting me. I was relieved, thinking that he'd given up and would eventually forget about me and leave me alone. I had underestimated him. The beginning of 7th grade rolled around and Deci had his trap set. He found me almost immediatly, no matter how hard I tried to avoid him. At first, it was fine. I mean, things just went back to the way they were in 6th grade. But it wasn't long before I picked up on what he was doing. He would target me, pinning more and more things on me and getting me in trouble - sometimes it was things I didn't even know had been happening. But when I called him out for it, that's when it got really bad. I got expelled from the school." I had to stop for a moment and take in a breath through my nose to calm down. I glanced up at Virgil. He was horrified. Good. He needs to understand he has to stay away from that kid.

"Luckily, I had explained everything to my parents, so they understood what was going on. When I was expelled, they went to talk to the principle and explained the situation. It took a while to convince him - Deci's lies had even fooled him, apparently - but when we finally did he was just as furious as us. He promised us that Deci would be punished and I would get back into the school. In the end, Deci was the one to be expelled. But I didn't go back to that school. My dad was already thinking about moving back before all of this happened and so this was sort of the nail in the coffin. By this time it was near the end of the school year anyway. So we planned to move back here by the end of the summer.

"The last time me and Deci spoke, he told me that I would pay for getting him in trouble, basically. That he would find me. I had no idea that he would make good on his promise." I met Virgil's eyes. "So now you know."

>Virgil<

I sat there and stared at him with wide eyes for a long time, a heavy silence settling around us. I had not expected any of that. A horrible feeling now twisted in my stomach. I thought back to my encounter with Deci, the way he had looked at me, how he knew who I was. "Did you ever mention me when you talked to him?"

Roman briefly looked surprised, as if that wasn't the question he had been expecting. "Um. Well, yes, actually. Before the whole incident at the end of 7th grade, I talked about you sometimes. I, uh, I missed you." a light blush washed across his cheeks. "Why?"

". . . when I talked to him, three days ago, it seemed like he knew who I was." a sinking feeling started to form in my chest and I swallowed hard. The way Roman's expression shifted was not comforting in the slightest.

And just then, there was a knock at the door.