Eavesdropping

~Roman~

After Virgil left, I let out a small sigh. I needed to tell him how I felt - before I lost the chance again. I was still mad at myself for not telling him before, especially when I learned that I was going to move away. When I did move away with my family, all I could think about was Virgil. I felt so alone. Making friends was harder than it should have been at the new school. I wondered now if he still had the headphones I gave him, and if he thought of me when he used them.

I was lost in thought when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked up and saw it was Logan. "Can you help me with something?" he asked.

I nodded and paused the movie. Getting up, I followed Logan down the hallway. As we passed Patton's room, though, we noticed the light was on. I could hear voices. Logan must have heard them first, though, because a confused expression crossed his face and he stopped before I got there.

"I think . . . I think I have a crush on him." I heard one of the voices saying, and recognized it as Patton's. I glanced at Logan, and saw that he was blushing a deep red, looking very flustered and confused. I knew Patton must have been talking about him.

"Oh, I know." a second voice said, sounding just a bit smug. I recognized this one as Virgil.

"I-I don't know what to do, because I know he can't like me that way too, right?" Patton had an uncharacteristic amount of nervousness in his voice.

I heard Virgil scoff, "He definitely has a crush on you too, trust me." he paused, then lowered his voice, but not so low that we couldn't still hear him, "You have no idea how many times he's hung out with just me or just me and Roman and went on whole overly-complicated rants about how cute you are." This was not a lie - Logan really did go on rants about Patton sometimes. It was very amusing, and also kinda adorable.

Patton was quiet for a moment (he was probably blushing), then spoke up again, "I have something else to ask you, too."

"Shoot."

"Do you have a crush on Roman?" Patton asked, quite unexpectedly if you asked me. Even I was a bit startled by it. Virgil doesn't have a crush on me . . . does he? What if he does? I found myself feeling both excited and scared. I tensed for the answer.

"W-What?"

"I thought you did, and Logan says you do, but I was curious if we were right or not." I could hear the smile in Patton's voice. My hopes soared.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Virgil replied, but it was a pretty obvious lie.

"Oh, come on. You can tell me - I won't judge!" Patton prompted.

There was a bit of shuffling, then a long sigh. "Well . . ." Virgil finally said, "Fine. I might, kinda, maybe have a small . . giant crush on Roman." My heart skipped a beat and I nearly fell over. I couldn't squash down the smile (and blush) that came to my face. He does like me! My beautiful kitten likes me back!

I was cut out of my thoughts by another sigh and then Virgil's voice, "But, I mean, not like it matters."

What? Why? I thought, just as Patton asked, "Why's that?"

"Because I'm not brave enough to tell him." he said, with an amount of sadness I couldn't bear, "And my parents would never accept it."

I don't know why, but that made me mad. Like, so mad. I clenched my hands into fists and grit my teeth, trying to keep calm, but I couldn't take it. I was so done with Virgil's parents holding him back from everything and basically oppressing him. It wasn't fair! It wasn't fair. And I couldn't take it anymore.

"SCREW YOUR PARENTS!" I shouted, slamming the door open as I burst into the room. I was seething with anger.

Virgil jumped, letting out a cry of surprise. He looked up at me with wide, fearful eyes, "R-Roman?!" he choked out, confused. Patton jumped too, but he looked less confused and more startled, if anything.

"H-How long have you been standing there?" Virgil asked nervously.

I didn't answer. Instead, I tried to calm myself a bit and turned to Patton, "Could I talk to Virgil? Uh . . . alone, I mean."

Patton nodded and got up, smiling knowingly at me before walking out of the room and closing the door behind him. What did that mean? I shook my head. It doesn't matter now. Focus, Roman!

I sat down on the bed where Patton had previously been. Virgil was looking down at his hands, but he kept glancing at me anxiously. Finally, he looked up at me and asked again, "How long were you standing there? How much did you hear?"

I debated for a moment, then said, "I heard everything after Patton said he has a crush on Logan." Virgil quickly looked back down at his hands, his eyes wide with panic and fear, his face red.

There was a long silence as we both waited for the other to say something. Finally, I spoke. "Why didn't you tell me?" I asked softly.

Virgil sighed. He closed his eyes and spoke without looking up, "You know why. You heard. I'd never have been brave enough, and my parents - "

My anger bubbled back up to the surface. "Enough with your parents!!" I said sharply, cutting him off and making him jump slightly. He opened his eyes and looked up at me. "I'm so tired of those horrible people holding you back from everything! It's not fair! They should accept you and support you - isn't that their job?"

Virgil looked at me for a long time, an unreadable expression on his face. Then he looked away and said, "They should. They don't." He glanced at me, then quickly looked away. I could see tears welling in his eyes.

All of my anger melted away as I saw a tear slip down one of his cheeks. "Oh, Virgil . . ." I moved so I was sitting up right next to him. He didn't look up at me, but I could see more tears falling from his eyes and he was shaking. I quickly pulled him into a hug, wrapping my arms around him. He froze for a moment, then melted into me, hugging me back and crying into my chest. I rubbed circles on his back and stroked his hair to calm him. "It's okay. I'm here. Deep breaths. It's all okay." I whispered to him gently.

After a while, he calmed down and stopped shaking. He pulled away, just slightly, and looked up at me. "Thank you." he said quietly.

I smiled, "Don't mention it. You are my kitten, after all."

A small smile crept onto Virgil's face and he giggled, poking me in the chest, "Shut up, princey." then he snuggled back into me.

I held him tightly and started to play with his hair again when, after a moment, I whispered, "I love you."