Home

*Patton*

Virgil was really shaken up after everything that happened with his parents. It all happened so fast, too. They're in jail now and have lost all custody over Virgil. Now he's staying with me and my mom for the time being. My mom says she wants to formally adopt him, too. That would be so awesome! We'd be brothers! In the meantime, I'm trying to help him get through everything and figure this all out.

I was finishing up a batch of Virgil's favorite chocolate chip cookies to make him feel better when Virgil walked into the kitchen. Well, it wasn't a walk as much as it was a slow dragging shuffle. He leaned against the wall as he did so, as if he were holding something heavy and couldn't support the weight.

"Hey-ya, kiddo!" I greeted him, putting on a cheerful face for him as I put the tray of cookies into the oven.

"Hey." he replied. He didn't say 'hey, dad' like he normally does. He actually hasn't said anything like that in a while. He hates talking about parents or anything like that. I think he's trying to forget about his parents. "What're you doing?"

"I'm making cookies!" I chirped, smiling widely, "You can have one when they're done."

He hesitated, "Did you wash out the bowl already?" I shook my head. "Good." he walked over, took the bowl, and then swung himself up so he was sitting on the counter.

I laughed, "Can't wait for the actual cookies to finish baking?"

He nibbled on a spoonful of cookie dough, "Don't judge me." he smirked. I studied him for a moment, smiling to myself. He noticed this and frowned, "What?"

I shook my head, looking away, "It's nothing. This just reminds me of . . . well, never-mind, it's nothing."

"What does it remind you of? Come on, now I'm curious!" he huffed.

I paused for a long time. Finally, I took a deep breath and said, "It reminds me of when we were all together making cookies that Friday before . . ." I trailed off.

Virgil was very still for a few seconds. Then he looked down at the bowl of cookie dough in his hands solemnly. "Heh. I guess this is kinda like that, isn't it?"

I felt a pang of guilt and sorrow stab my heart, seeing him so sad. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything." I apologized, wanting my son to feel better.

Virgil shook his head, "No, it's okay. I've just kinda been avoiding the whole thing, trying to forget it. But . . ."

". . but . . .?"

He let out a long sigh and looked up at the ceiling. "I don't know . . . I just keep thinking . . . 'am I really so worthless even my own parents didn't want me?'" he dropped his head. Tears formed at the edges of his eyes. The sight was almost enough to make me cry, too.

"Virgil, no!" I rushed over to him and gave him a big hug, "Nothing could be further from the truth! You are worth so much to everyone and if anyone even thinks of questioning that I will PHYSICALLY FIGHT THEM." Virgil let out a small laugh and rested his head on my shoulder. I gave him a light squeeze, "You're parents were horrible people who didn't deserve you, not the other way around. That's why all of this happened. That's why they'll in jail now. And none of it is your fault, either." I added. Knowing Virgil, he probably unfairly blamed himself for the whole thing.

Virgil sniffled, then let out a small sob. We stood there like that for a while, with me hugging him, comforting him, while he cried into my shoulder. I rocked slowly from side to side in a calming motion. Eventually, he stopped crying. Pulling away, he wiped at his eyes, "Thanks, dad." he mumbled, giving a small smile.

Happiness swelled in my chest and I beamed at him, "Anytime, kiddo!" just at that second, the oven started beeping. The cookies were ready! I walked over and turned the oven off. I put on some cat-themed oven mits and pulled the hot cookie tray out of the oven, setting them on a counter opposite Virgil, who perked up immediately.

"Are those chocolate chip cookies?" he asked, hopping down off the counter and shuffling over.

I smiled, "Yup! You can have as many as you want, once they're cool." Virgil smiled wider. I knew the cookies would cheer him up! After a couple minutes, when Virgil couldn't wait any longer, I deemed them cool enough to eat and Virgil immediately grabbed four - two in each hand - and started munching away happily.

I smiled brightly at him. It was nice to see him so happy for a change - not that I don't love my dark strange son just the way he is. As I took a cookie myself and leaned against the counter, I promised to myself. I would be the best brother Virgil could ever ask for. I would make sure he felt loved and cared for (and I'm sure Roman could help me with that, too). I would protect him from more awful people like his parents.

I would make this house a home.

________

A/N: Hey, sry this was a bit delayed. Studying for mid-terms rly set me back. One of my teachers got so angry at us that she changed her mid-term to essays. It was pretty dumb, but whatever. I got through it, and it wasn't that bad! Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, anyway. So I think the worst of it is over! Hopefully I'll have more time to work on this. And I think I will, with holiday break coming up. Prepare for some super-fluffy holiday chapters!!