Nightmares

A/N: Happy New Year everybody! Still have really bad writers block, but I'm trying! Also slight angst in this one, but everything is okay in the end and there's also some fluff.

~Roman~

It was a few days after Christmas day. I was heading over to Patton and Virgil's - like usual, we were meeting over there to hang out. Subconsciously, I touched the bracelet on my wrist. It had little black hearts and skulls on a silver chain. Virgil had gotten it for me for Christmas, along with a bunch of Tim Burton movie posters that I had been dying to get my hands on for a while now. I hadn't taken it off since I got it - I doubted I ever would.

When I got to the door to their house, Patton answered the door. "Hiya, kiddo!" he smiled broadly at me, stepping aside so I could come in. I looked around and saw that Logan was already here, sitting on the couch with a book in his hands.

"Where's Virgil?" I asked as Patton went to sit down by Logan.

Patton looked back at me, "Oh, I think he's in his room. He's probably still asleep." he giggled.

Logan looked up from his book with a puzzled expression, "Still asleep? How could he possibly still be asleep? It is 1:00 in the afternoon."

Patton shook his head, "You'd be surprised. He slept in 'till 5 in the afternoon once." he then turned to look at me again, "Could you go see if he's still asleep?"

I nodded, then turned and went down the hallway to his room, which used to be the guest room before Virgil was adopted. I knocked on the door. No answer. I knocked again, but still no answer came. I turned the door knob and found that it was unlocked. I peeked inside the room. "Virgil?"

>Virgil<

Everything was foggy, a thick mist surrounding me and clinging to my skin. It was very dark - too dark. I felt my breathing hitch and a knot formed in my stomach. I swallowed hard, gripping myself in a self-hug. Hesitantly, I took a step forward, slowly trudging through the fog.

The deeper I went into the mist, the more uneasy I felt. Soon I found myself in a dark forest, with tall, bare trees stretching out for miles above my head. I felt so small, so vulnerable standing next to them. The trees also cast dark shadows over me, the black swirling and dancing about me. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block everything out, but then I couldn't see where I was going. Something hit me from behind and knocked me to the ground. I opened my eyes.

Towering above me, his fist covered in blood - my blood - was my father. My stomach twisted horribly, and I was frozen with fear. I thought I was going to die. The trees around us became shadows themselves, their branches terrifying black claws reaching out for me. Before I knew what was happening, I was caught, tangling in the shadows. I couldn't move, no matter how hard I struggled. I couldn't breathe.

My struggles just made the giant man in front of me laugh. But then something leaped out of the shadows - it was Roman! He lifted a sword that gleamed glittering sliver and attacked my father. But the blade just bounced off of him - it was useless.

My dad shrank to his normal size and stepped in front of Roman. He smacked the sword from his hands, and it landed next to me, clattering across the dark ground. Then he grabbed Roman by the throat, lifting him into the air. I screamed for him to let Roman go, but he ignored me, and I couldn't do anything but watch as he suffocated. He clawed at my father's grip, gasping for breath . . . and went limp.

My father let go, and he crumpled to the ground. He didn't get up again. I screamed his name over and over, thrashing in the claws of the shadows.

I jerked awake. My breathing came in short, panicked gasps and I was shaking. I looked around, my eyes darting around the room like a trapped animal looking for a way out. I was still in bed. Roman was sitting on the edge of the bed, leaning over me with a concerned expression. Seeing his face, I could only think of the limp, dead figure in my dad's hands, falling to the ground. I felt tears at the edges of my eyes, threatening to fall.

"Virgil, it's ok! You're ok. You were having a nightmare." Roman told me, trying to calm me down. But I couldn't calm down. I was too panicked.

"You - my d-dad - I could-couldn't m-move . . y-you were . . were d-d-de -," I couldn't continue any further than that, my mouth refusing to form words. The tears welling up in my eyes spilled, and I broke down into chocking sobs.

Roman immediately wrapped his arms around me, hugging me tight. "Hey, hey, shh. I'm not dead, I'm right here. Everything's ok. It was only a dream, nothing can hurt you now. Breathe." he said softly into my ear, his voice soothing. I clung onto him, burying my face in the crook of his neck. He ran his fingers through my hair, whispering soothing things into my ear. I closed my eyes, clinging to him as if he would disappear if I let go.

~Roman~

After a while, I pulled back slightly, "Are you okay?"

He hesitated for a moment, then nodded. He shifted so he could look up at me, leaning more into me in the process, "You make everything better." he admitted quietly.

I smiled down at him fondly, pressing a kiss to his cheek, "That's good." I paused, then asked gently, "What happened? In the dream, I mean." Whatever it was, it had really shaken him up.

He hesitated a long time, probably debating whether or not to talk about it. Finally, he spoke, his voice barely a whisper, "I was walking in a forest when something knocked me down from behind. It was my dad. Y-You tried to stop him, and t-then he . . . you were . . ." he paused, "you were gone." I was horrified. I didn't know he was still having nightmares about his parents. And me dying . . .

I squeezed him, holding him close, "Well, you don't have to worry about anything happening to me. Besides," I smirked, looking into his deep brown eyes, "You couldn't get rid of me if you tried!"

He chuckled, a small smile gracing his lips, "Lucky me." he said sarcastically.

"Hey!"