The New Kid

>Virgil<

I spent the whole rest of the morning trying to get the full story out of Roman, but he wouldn't say anymore. It was really annoying, actually. Logan and Patton woke up to me interrogating him.

"Why are you yelling at Roman?" Logan asked as he put on his glasses.

"A new kid moved into the neighborhood this morning, and Roman knows him, but he won't explain any further than that." I huffed, crossing me arms.

Patton glanced over at Roman, who was sitting with his back against the wall beside the window. "Well, if he doesn't want to talk about it, that's his choice. We can't force him to do anything."

I sighed, "Fine, then. I'm going over there to find out some things for myself." this got Roman's attention. "Wait - !" I heard him start to say, but I ignored him, already out the door. I hopped down the steps, then looked down the street to where I had seen the boy before. He wasn't there anymore, but the moving van was. It was parked on the lot five houses down from us. As I started walking closer, I noticed that the back of the van was opened and half empty. I stopped in front of the house, standing on the other side of the street from it. Something in the van caught my eye. I looked along the street for cars, then ran across to the other side and peered into the van, curious.

Just at that moment, a large black cat with burning yellow eyes leaped out at me, hitting me in the chest as it sprang away, running into the house through a cat flap without looking back. I let out a yelp of surprise and stumbled backward, taking a moment to regain the breath that was knocked out of me. Why was there a cat in the van? I thought.

I stared at the house that the cat had disappeared into. I walked up to the door. Standing there a moment, I hesitated, anxiety gripping me. Why had Roman reacted to severely to this random kid? Was he dangerous or something? Thoughts and possibilities whirled around in my mind. I shook my head as if to clear it, then knocked on the door.

The boy who opened the door was not the same as the one I had seen on the driveway earlier. He was taller and seemed older - maybe 9th grade. He was wearing a black t-shirt reading 'Could Be Gayer' in rainbow lettering and jeans. He smiled when he saw me. "Hi!"

"Um, h-hi." I stammered.

"I'm Thomas." he introduced himself. "You?"

"Virgil."

He smiled wider, "Well, it's nice to meet you, Virgil. Do you live around here?" I nodded, gesturing to my house down the street. "Cool. What brings you here?"

"Um . . ." I realized I had no idea what I was going to say. How could I ask to see the boy I had seen on the driveway if I had no idea what his name was? A knot formed in my stomach and I felt very awkward for a second. That is, until he continued with his sentence and I realized he hadn't been finished talking.

"We just moved in, as you can probably tell. We weren't expecting visitors or anything so soon." he considered me for a moment, then asked, "Are you friends with my brother?"

"Brother?" I said without thinking. Then, as a confused expression flickered across his face, I added quickly, "Y-yes! I am. Is he here?" That must have been this guy's brother I saw.

Thomas nodded, "Yup. I'll go get him for you." then he turned and disappeared into the house for a moment. I heard the shout of a name and then running from inside before another boy came to the door. His face was the first thing I saw.

I was momentarily stunned.

The right side of his face was normal - pale skin, brown eye - but the left side . . . it was covered in scars. Lots of small scars etched into his skin, looking almost as if the left side of his face was covered in scales. And his eye . . . his eye was yellow and slitted, like a snake's.

He wasn't wearing the weird cape thing he was when I saw him earlier - instead, he wore a black t-shirt with glittering yellow letters reading 'It's Good To Be Bad', black jeans, and the black fedora from before.

His eyes were lit up when he had opened the door, but then dulled and narrowed when he saw me. "Oh." he sounded disappointed. "You're not Roman."

I was just getting over puzzling over the scars, but this 'greeting' just wrapped me back up in confusion and questions. "No, I'm not. My name is Virgil." I said flatly, with a little more hostility than I intended. Then the realization hit me: he did know Roman. And he had expected Roman to have visited him. And he had been excited about it. This told me many things - things that made no sense judging by the way Roman had reacted to this guy moving in.

He paused a long time before speaking again, looking me up and down. "So you're Virgil."

I narrowed my eyes, "Yup. You know Roman?"

He smirked, "You could say that. I mean, it's not like we're friends or anything." There was something in his eyes as he looked at me . . .

I shifted on my feet uncomfortably, a knot forming in the pit of my stomach. "Do you . . . know me?" I asked slowly, raising an eyebrow.

He smiled a little too widely. "No, no. Of course not. I've never heard anything about you in my entire life."

"Who are you?" I asked, getting a bad feeling about this whole thing.

He chuckled, "Me? Don't worry, I'm no one."

"I'm just the new kid here."

_____

A/N: AAAHHHGG sorry this took so long! I was sick for a couple weeks and couldn't work on it, but I'm trying really hard. ;-;

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone reading this right now! You all have been so supportive and caring and I love each and every one of you. Everyone has been so nice and leaving so many comments and votes and stuff . . . I just feel really good right now. I've been kinda depressed recently, but this never fails to bring a smile to my face. So thank you. :)