Twelve || Paw In Hand

|| Paw In Hand

If Stiles could've been out of breath, he would've been. "Who's Emelia?"

Allison whistled, "I'll leave you to it. Later, J." She half heartedly smiled, vanishing into smoke and then nothing at all.

"Who told you about her?" Jacy put the vinyl of Allison's choice back into its envelope.

"Your mom." Stiles hit his knuckle to his palm lightly, a nervous tick he had. "She talked to me, but not me, me." He hesitated slightly, "You told me you didn't have any experience with drifters."

"I said little, not none," she defended calmly, putting the record into the space the huntress took it from.

"So, Emelia?" He sounded not just curious, but worried. "She didn't make it?"

"No, she didn't make it."

Jacy hated talking about it, but Stiles deserved to know. He had a right to.

"What happened?" Stiles slowly stepped forward. "Who was she?"

"She went to school with me." Jacy glanced down. "We took ballet together when we were five. Once middle school hit, we stopped being friends, but stuff like that happens all the time." She went to the counter, leaning against it while facing Stiles. "Last thing she did was apologize for that."

Stiles swallowed the lump in his throat, "How did she become a drifter?"

"Party gone wrong. End of sophomore year some of the cheerleaders crashed a frat party. One of the deltas took advantage of Emelia. She said no and he nearly killed her. She drifted for three months."

"How come she fell? Wouldn't three months make her strong?"

"Well," Jacy hesitated, "She was strong, but she corrupted."

"Corrupted? How does a ghost do that?" Stiles' eyebrows knitted together, never hearing the under lying rules for his condition.

"Ghosts can corrupt easy, but for drifters it's different. Spirits typically want revenge and they get strong fast." She motioned over to the record player, "Allison can pick a record and play it without help and she's only a month and a half in." Jacy nodded softly towards her listener. "Yet you sometimes have trouble picking things up without focus."

"Revenge is corruption." Stiles was starting to get it. "The frat guy."

"Emelia only wanted to scare him, but she got worked up when she saw him." Jacy met Stiles' eyes. "She killed him, and it killed her."

"Why didn't you tell me that could happen?"

"Yours was an accident. I wasn't worried about you wanting revenge." Jacy tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "You love your Jeep so I didn't think you'd go and beat it up."

"Loved," Stiles corrected. "She's wrecked and it's in lock up at the station. I doubt I can fix her and the last machanic who worked on her was crushed by her."

"Sophomore year?"

"Sophomore year."

"Well, maybe your Jeep can be saved." Jacy had missed quite a lot of action in Beacon Hills.

"Like you can save me?"

Jacy nodded, "Absolutely."

"My mom told me something." Stiles had conversations about a lot of things, but he rarely spoke about Claudia. "Something I really believe in."