Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Star

I walk to the courtyard to see a table full of fruit and other breakfast food. I walk over and steal a couple grapes as Klaus comes down the stairs “so, which restaurant's missing a compelled chef” I asked? “It's certainly a card I've played in the past, but I had no hand in this” he says and gestures to the food on the table. “Well, then, I guess we have Elijah to thank” I say and turn around to see Elijah walk in and look at the food. “This wasn't my doing” “or mine” Hayley says walking in from one of the side rooms that she is now staying in.

“Then, where did this all come from” I ask and the lid on the platter starts to rattle, startling Hayley and I. Klaus looks uneasy when he lifts the platter, which releases two birds that fly up toward the. “What the hell was that” Hayley asks “crows” I say almost a whisper. A piece of paper sits on the tray and Klaus reaches for the paper, opening it. I look over his shoulder to see an invitation that reads "Dinner, Your Home, 8PM". “An invitation from our mother” Klaus says. Everyone looks at each other in concern.

Hayley lays flat on Klaus’s bed while I lean on the wall close by as Klaus stares at the invitation while he stands on the balcony overlooking the French Quarter. He eventually turns to head back into his bedroom. “It is times like this I'm really glad you killed my family” I say to Klaus. “We have enough enemies here and now the war for our home is to be fought against my own family” Klaus says. “Your wretched mother and her disciples tried to put a carving knife through our” Hayley starts then looks at me and I nod for her to go on “baby's heart. I will happily add to the body count” she finishes.

Klaus smiles at Hayley, and looks up at me, making me look at the ground; Elijah enters the room. “You will do no such thing; Esther's a master in the art of possession. We know whose body she currently inhabits. We must decipher her intentions before she finds a new host” Elijah says. “Well, her last invitation was an assassination attempt on all her children. I think we can assume her intentions are decidedly foul” Klaus says.

Elijah shrugs “well then, we have” he checks his watch “this afternoon to prepare for the worst” Elijah says. “Why do I have to come again” I asked, not wanting to come “because our mother invited you” Klaus said flipping the invitation over and holding it up in the air. It read “bring Star” in fancy righting making me sigh loudly and lay my head on the way as Elijah walks out.

I push myself off the wall and head for the door “where are you going” Klaus asked? I stop and turned around “to find something to ware to this hell that we will call dinner tonight” I say making Klaus smile before I left. I walked down the street, looking around for a dress stop. I finally found one about a mile away from the house and walked inside, a small bell rang as the door opened and closed. “Hello” a lady a little older the me said with a smile.

“Hi, I’m looking for a dress that doesn’t show too much and that, if needed I can kick some but” I said making her nod and nod for me to fallow her threw the store. “All I get is a nod, not a wired look or anything” I asked curious. “Your Klaus’s girl, I don’t really expect anything else” she said so casually that it made me smile. “I have just the dress for you” she said and flipped threw a rack full of dresses before pulling a mint green one that was one strap and reached to the middle of my legs. It was beautiful and just what I needed.

“It's perfect, how much” I asked “on the house” she said making me look at her confused “call it “I'm sorry”” she said. I looked at her more confused “it must be hard losing a child” she said and I instantly looked ground, hopping she wouldn't say that. I pushed the tears that wanted to come away and looked back up at her with a small smile “thank you” I said before taking the dress and leaving the dress shop, heading back to the house.

I walked into the dinning room to see Klaus making arrangements for the evening's dinner with a group of caterers. One of the caterers gives him a choice of two different bottles of wine “skip the salad course. Let's not make this dreadful evening any longer than it needs to be” Klaus said and chooses a wine before dismisses the caterer. “Good thing we have wine, I'm going to need it for tonight” I said and laid my dress on the back of a chair.

“I agree, but the only thing I hope to be drinking is my mothers blood from her veins” Klaus said and looked up at me with a half smile. A small smile crept up to my lips before I spoke “why does she hate you so much, Klaus? I mean you've told me little things but, I mean she had six kids, it's not like she doesn't have the maternal gene” I said.

“Seven, actually and, I think at one time, she loved us very much” Klaus said as he folds napkins on the table. “One died before I was born” “why didn't you ever tell me” I asked feeling sympathetic. “The same reason you didn't tell me that you were hunter vampires after, after Hope left” Klaus said, struggling to say her name. I looked at the ground before Klaus spoke, making me look up and listen.

“Years later, my brother Henrik was killed by the werewolves in our village. The loss of another child pushed my mother over the edge. So, she used her magic to turn us into immortals. I think that's when she loved us the most. But, it was her undoing. It triggered a sequence of events that led to the reveal of her long-held secret. My birth father was the werewolf whose pack killed my little brother. Of course, when Mikael found out, he murdered my real father, and so, my mother lost her lover, too” he said.

“Wow, no wonder she's crazy. I'm out of my mind having just given away Hope, I can't imagine if she'd actually died” I said. Klaus seemed to get teary-eyed “you know, my siblings used to tell each other she didn't hate us. She hated herself for what we've become. I think they believed that even after she tried to kill us all” “what did you believe” I asked?

“I don't know, I just knew I wanted her dead and to kill every threat out there so Hope may return” Klaus said. I nodded and took a few steps toward him “well you know what they say, every good story needs a wicked witch. It'll be all the more satisfying when we melt her” I say with a smile, making him smile back as well.