Chapter 44

Star

Klaus and I were walking down the streets of the French Quarter as I pushed Hope in a stroller. We walk, passing locals and tourists milling around the street, along with street musicians who are playing various instruments. Hope coos at me as I giggle and tickle her. Klaus watches everyone like a hawk watches it's pray. "Klaus you're making me more nervous" I said to him "you should be" Klaus says. I glare at him and he wraps his arm around me "sorry Love" Klaus whispers to me and kisses my head before we continue to walk.

We come upon a violinist on the sidewalk who is playing an upbeat tune, and so we stop to listen. The violinist continues playing the tune a little longer before smiling and dramatically ending the song. I smile at the woman and drop some money into her violin case. We started to walk again as the violinist starts playing a much slower tune, the exact same tune that Dahlia used to sing to Freya. Klaus and I pause and I look unnerved at the violinist, who is staring at us.

I look at Klaus as he looks at me concerned. "That song" I said and look back at the violinist again, who is still staring at us creepily. "Get out of here" Klaus whispered to me and I quickly turn back around and start walking. As I head down the street with Klaus fallowing behind. I scan my surroundings and see waiter writing a message onto the chalkboard outside of a restaurant that reads, "A promise made is a debt to be paid." I play it cool in case someone else is watching. Suddenly I'm stopped by a man holding a large, long-stemmed red and black flower in his hand.

"Flowers, miss" the man says and holds it out to Hope "a gift for the child". "No, we're alright, thank you" I said "you sure" he asked? I look at the man suspiciously as he holds up the flower. "Black dahlias are in bloom, they're quite lovely" he says and I freeze for a second. I start to walk past him, pushing the stroller but am stopped when the man grabs me tightly by the arm as both of his eyes turn pure white. Out of nowhere, Klaus appears and shoves the man against a light post as he puts him in a choke-hold.

Klaus growls "show yourself, witch" Klaus yells and I look around, seeing Jackson walking over to us, his eyes white. "Klaus" I yell and Klaus turns to find Jackson standing straight in front of us. "I am here, I am everywhere, and I intend to take what is mine" Jackson says being possessed by Dahlia. "What, too scared to show yourself" I yell out mad. Jackson groans as Dahlia leaves his body, and he looks completely confused when he sees Klaus and I staring at him in shock and fear.

"What just happened" he asked concerned and Klaus sighs "Dahlia" he says. Klaus, Hope, and I head to the compound to meet with everyone. I lay Hope in her bed upstairs, leaving her with some wolves. Hayley, Rebekah, Klaus, Freya, Elijah, and I are convening in the dining room to discuss what has just occurred. "Isn't that the point of a fortress? It does a better job of protecting you when you stay within its walls" Klaus says displeased as I walk over to stand next to him.

"Okay, we get it. Now, let's just figure out what the hell we're gonna do" Hayley said annoyed. "What I would like to do is take a strong leash" Klaus starts to yell but Elijah cuts him off. "Children, please. Niklaus, your ire is justified. However, Hayley is quite right. We need to find a new strategy, Freya, if you please" Elijah says and looks at Freya. She sighs "the spell you described, Dahlia calls it "kenning" she using proxies to watch her enemies from afar. But, I've never seen it done on quite this scale" she says looking at everyone overwhelmed.

"Awesome, so, basically every Hurricane-chugging, boob-flashing tourist on Bourbon Street is a potential spy" I said with a sigh and sit in a chair as Klaus stands behind me. "The good news is, I know a little about how her magic works" she says and gestures at a tray she has set up that has a silver tea kettle and five tea cups full of brown liquid on saucers. "This tonic will at least prevent her from using any of us" she says and Rebekah and Freya each reach for a cup. "Well, come on, this should work like a charm" Rebekah says and I hesitantly grab one, as does Elijah and Hayley.

However, Klaus remains standing where he is and doesn't move to join us. "Bottoms up" I say raising my glass a little before drinking the brown liquid. Everyone else drinks it and Elijah holds out the fifth cup for Klaus, who simply stares at it. Elijah sighs in annoyance "Niklaus, is there something you wish to contribute"? Klaus shrugs "I prefer biscuits with my tea" he says with a smile. Elijah rolls his eyes as he sets down Klaus' cup.

"Of course" Elijah mutters under his breath. Klaus ignores him "besides, our minds are far too strong to be invaded by kenning spells. No, what we experienced was a test, Dahlia's watching to see how we respond to aggression. She's preparing for battle. My guess is sooner, rather than later" Klaus says "well, if she was watching us, she would know that we have our own army" I said. "She also knows where we are. And, given the immense nature of her power, we simply do not know what to expect from her. What we need is to create a new stronghold. Something that Dahlia knows nothing about. A sanctuary from any witchcraft" Elijah says.

"That's a fine strategy; I offer another we can use Jackson to trace her magic back to its source. Find out exactly where she is" Elijah says and everyone looks to Hayley, who considers this for a moment. She looks over at Klaus, who merely smiles and raises his eyebrows at her, before she sighs. "Fine, do it" she says reluctantly and Klaus looks pleased "good, than it's settled. Off you pop to your respective tasks, but as for me? I've always been of the opinion that the best defense is a good offense. So, I'm going to find a way to murder that godforsaken witch" Klaus says and smiles evilly.

Sorry it's short.