The Auction of My Heart (One)

“Lucia, come on!” Sally screamed. She wanted to get to the party quickly so she could get smashed before her ex boyfriend arrived.
“I’m coming!” I, on the other hand didn’t want to go to the party at all. Sally and I were complete opposites. She liked being social, while I preferred to be alone. Sally also liked to pretend to fit in, though she wasn’t very good at it. I would rather not fit in or stick out. I just wanted to be left alone. The biggest difference between us is…I fight for what I believe in, but she will not.
“Lucia, we are late!” What Sally should have said is “We are on time!”, but she never will.
“I’m not staying there all night, Sally. I want to be home by one, I have finals to study for.” It was December, Christmas was in a few weeks. This meant semester finals were also in a few very short weeks. This also meant my 18th birthday was coming soon. I hated my age.
“You always say that…Well, not the finals thing. What are you so worried about anyway? You make straight A’s. I should be the one worried about studying…” She trailed off.
“Even a better reason to come home early.” We both knew she couldn’t argue.
“Just come on!” She hesitated, “I think John might be there.”
Sally said this then because she had been downstairs while I had been in my room getting ready. I pulled my long black hair into a side pony tail and sighed. John was my brother’s best friend. He was also the person I hated most in my life. He tried to rape me, but I pushed those thoughts out of my head and pulled on my converse. Then I went on a search to find my hoodie, I couldn’t show my scars. “Ready!” I screamed.
*************
It was four. It was cold. I was trying to carry Sally to the car, she was passed out, when I slipped on the ice that covered the ground. As I fell to the ground Sally, who was twice my weight, fell on top of me. I let out a small shriek and tried to push her off of me. Everyone else had already left. “Do you need some help?” I heard a woman’s voice ask. I looked around me to see who spoke. I could only see a silhouette of something. It was huge.
“Uh…No, I’ve got it.” I was getting paranoid. I have trust issues.
“Please, I insist.” She was getting closer to me.
“No, it’s really okay. I can do it myself. Thanks anyway, though.” I knew if it came to a fight I wouldn’t win, and I couldn’t run because I was not going to leave Sally there to freeze.
“You are very hard to track down, you know.” It sounded like she was offering me a compliment.
“What do you mean?” I could hear the quiver in my voice.
“I’ve been searching for you for a while now, ever since I saw you at the mall on Halloween.” By now she was lingering right over me, and I was still sprawled out on the ground.
“I think you have me confused with some-” Something hit my cheek hard. I sat back up, attempting to stand up, ready to fight. Sally was still laying on top of me, but this time her blonde hair hung in my face. When I managed to sit up the stranger’s foot collided with my head. My ears were ringing and everything went black.
*************
It was cold. Blood was trickling down my face as I tried to sit up. I wasn’t sure where I was, but I did remember what had happened. “Where is she? Is she awake? Well…Clean her up!” I was confused. It was dark so I could not see anything clearly. I tried to move again, but chains were holding me down. The door swung open and an older woman waddled in.
“Are you awake yet, deary?” She asked, knocking on my head. I let out a whimper. “Come on it’s up with you now. Gotta get cha clean for the boss. Your lot is in an hour. Wouldn’t want you lookin’ all tore up now.” She started walking to the door. “Well, are you coming?” She asked pausing, then turning back around. “Oh my, I forgot to unlock your chains.” She unlocked them, then picked me up and sat me on my feet.
“Where am I?” She hushed me and led me out of the torn up room into another torn up room. It was humid.
“It’s time to take a bath, honey.” She began to bathe me. My mind wasn’t in the present, I let it wonder to a different time. I remembered hearing her voice cooing to me. I think I was shaking, but I can’t remember. The hot water made me feel clean, pure. “What’s your name, sweetheart?” She asked, but the tone of her voice led me to believe she had said it more than once.
“Lucia Grey.” I told her quietly.
“What a pretty name.” A bell sounded. “Time to go.” She handed me a sort of white cloth.
“Where are my clothes?” I asked, gaining courage.
“They were put into the garbage.” She said matter-of-factly. I began to protest, but the door swung open and there stood a giant. His skin was shrived up into horrid wrinkles. His clothes were rags, basically.
“We go now.” He said. I just realized I was naked and there was a man in the room, so I quickly put the rags on. “Now.” He repeated.
*************
I had been waiting for what seemed like hours. Sitting in a dark room with all of these other girls. They didn’t speak English. Finally the giant man came in and grabbed my arm. I tried to loosen his grip, but all attempts were futile. He finally just picked me up and swung me over his shoulder. I couldn’t see anything so I stopped fighting. We walked for a few minutes when at last we came to light. We were outside. He sat me down on my feet and I looked out into the crowd. There were seats everywhere. Men, women, and creatures were everywhere. Some were standing, while others were seated. I was confused. The man pushed me onto stage and I heard my name being called, followed by a string of words I didn’t understand.
People were raising there cards. It was an auction. The strange words and cards went up until I heard a scream from the back. Everyone got quiet. The man that was running the auction repeated what he said. Then looked around. “Sold!” He said, and banged the gavel. What have a gotten myself into?