Love Sucks - 31

Chapter thirty-one;

Ashton grinned with enthusiasm, and Claude braced himself even more firmly against the wall of the shield.

“Alex mentioned me having several special gifts, since I’m a Pureblood,” Ashton assumed, moving closer to me. “Do you want to see one of them?”

I swallowed, and he laughed. I nodded nonetheless.

“I’m going to connect you and the vortex’s mind together,” He said. “You’ll see what I mean.” With no explanation, Ashton stepped right up close to me so that our bodies were touching. He put one hand on the vortex, and the fingertips of the other hand against my temple. He closed his eyes, and I watched him slowly withdraw his hand away from my head. Clasped in his hold was, what I assumed to be, energy. It was blue and ecstatic – alive. I could feel it, too; the more Ashton pulled, my limbs got more and more numb, and my blood felt like ice.

When the lace was firmly in his fingers, he detached it from my temples and it curled up into a ball on his palm. I blinked at it, but Ashton didn’t say anything. Instead, looking deep in concentration, I watched as the blue laced ball sunk into his skin. I could see it slither beneath his flesh, disappearing out of sight up his arm via the veins in his wrist. Silently, he pressed that hand against the vortex, and the blue lace became visible again beneath his skin, lingering at his wrist.

“When I say go, I want you to close your eyes and let the connection build. Take down all the guards you put up for the rest of the world, take down all the barriers, unlock all the black corners, put everything you have in your mind on display. It will do the same for you. Then, when you’re sure you’re connected, tell it you want Claude to go onto the shield. Remember, onto, not into.” Ashton said, breathless. He withdrew his hand, only to slam it against the shield once more. “GO!”

Before I closed my eyes, a flash of light burst from Ashton’s hand. I did as he told me to; I opened up every inch of my mind, I put it up for whatever to see.

I could feel it slam into my mind; the fiery barbed wire connecting my mind and the vortex’s mind together, just as it had done with Alex. My whole body felt numb and icy cold, and the ground seemed to slowly begin spinning as my thoughts were murderously pried from my own head.

Images flashed before my own eyes, one after the other, scene after scene. As if someone was watching from within the vortex, remembering all of the events that had happened at this very location. It was more like a camera that was on constant record day in, day out. The stream of fast images slowed down vaguely for me to see the most important scenes of all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

He was sat on the back doorstep, his eyes glazed as he stared straight ahead. His hands were rested on his knees, balled into a fist clasped so tight that his knuckles were turning white. Despite the obvious outburst of anger, his green eyes seemed gentle, relaxed. As if he were oblivious to his own rage.

“Sir Alexander,” A man said, catching his attention. He glanced up at the man dressed in a black suit. “Your father wishes to see you in his study.”

“If he wishes to see me so much, he can come and find me.” He responded icily. In a flash, the man in black was gone. Replacing him was a taller man, his shoulders broad, his chest well-built, even through his white shirt.

“Alexander, we need to talk.” The man said sternly. Alexander turned his head away from where his father stood, the anger flashing in his eyes. His jaw clenched, but he did not move. After a short while, his father sat down on the step next to him. He reached into his inner pocket and withdrew a cigar, alongside a box of matches. Alexander made a face of disgust.