Love Sucks - 5

I hope you like it<3.

~

Chapter five;

I slipped on my converse quickly and ran out of the bedroom, down the stairs, down the hall and out the front door. I pulled it shut with a light click, careful not to awaken my mother, wherever she was. I ran down the streets of my hometown, past Peartree Avenue Church in the grounds of which my father was buried, past the little row of shops at the bottom of the mile-or-two-long (literally) road, across the cross roads, towards the building sight.

Why me? Why was I the luckiest girl of the eleven, but the girl with the worst of luck in human reality? Why didn’t he kill me, like he did with the other eleven victims? What did I do now? Did I report this whole incident to the police, just to add my name to the list of girls he decided it might be fun to kill, with the slight exception that I had only been bitten and not had my throat ripped out? That he didn’t molest or rape me? At least, not while I was awake…

So I guess this wasn’t a thing like twilight, but more edging towards those horror folklore stories about how vampires went into your house at night and snatched your children and killed them and stuff.

I’d had Bipolar 2 disorder before, when I was fourteen, nearly fifteen. I was treated with mood stabilizers and therapy, and since it wasn’t as bad as some cases, my mental health returned to its ordinary state. Ever since I’d had episodes of depression though, but the Bipolar never returned. Or, so I liked to think. But it was there: I’d had it before, who was to say it never really went away? This could all just be a delusion… I hoped so.

“It’s not,” my voice snarled. “You know it’s not.”

No, it wasn’t, but I wished it was.

I entered the building site by slyly slipping into it through a hole in the side of the large wooden fence they’d put up. From there I was gained access to the crumbling building they said they were going to re-build, and never did. I slipped past the scaffolding and found sanctuary in the dark corners of a pitch black room that had been thickly boarded up. As I leant against the boards, I silently prayed that the building would just fall down and crush me, instantly killing me. It would make everything just that much easier – maybe then I could be with my father… if there was such a thing as the afterlife.

“Cathy Morse… we meet again.”

Tears instantly welled up at the sound of that voice, and fear shot up my spine. Hearing his footsteps echo around me, I pushed myself further into the boards.

“Leave me alone!” I screamed, sobbing and crying. I mentally cursed myself for seeming so weak and vulnerable to him – childish, even. And that was probably what he saw me as: a child. I was weak and defensless and I had no clue what was going on. I was perfect for his games.

“Must you scream so loud?” Alex sighed in the darkness. I couldn’t see him or anything: only the pitch black darkness, which scared me more. For all I knew, he could be right next to me, or in front of me or something. His footsteps still echoed all around me as he walked slowly towards me.

“Please stay away from me,” I said throatily. After a few minutes of silence, I said more strongly, “Why are you here?”

“I could ask you the same thing.”

“Did you follow me?”

He laughed a bitter laugh. “No. I was here first.”

“Oh, very rich… you sound like a child.”