Love Sucks - 3

I know this one's long, but it's an important part of the story. It's the beginning<3 :DD.

I love you all!(:

~

Chapter three;

“Don’t we all look stunning?” Grace squealed, staring at our forms in the large mirror in her bedroom before us. In the reflection stood a lanky girl at one end, her brunette hair curled past her shoulders, her make-up a little thick for my liking and her floral dress a little too short. Suzie was pretty, very pretty, but she was Gracie’s pet. She hardly said anything to anyone, and instead stayed quiet behind Grace. Next to Suzie was Grace: her black hair hung straight just above her shoulders, but with her extensions in her hair went down to her ribs. Her make-up was caked on, and beneath the orange-ish skin and thick mascara was beauty. Grace was one of the prettiest girls I’ve ever met, and I’d bet every guy at our college would say the same too. Her dress was just as short as Suzie’s – and mine for that matter – and went down to just halfway up her thigh. It was darker than Suzie’s; Grace’s dress had a black and white floral print on it, instead of coloured. And then there was me. The short, skinny little blonde thing at the other end. My blonde hair looked lighter than it did before, and was pinned up using Grace’s butterfly clip. I wore a skimpy little sequinned black dress.

“Aren’t these things a little short?” I mumbled. Grace shot me a dirty look, daring me to contradict her choice of outfits. Slightly uncomfortable under such a menacing stare, I amended my sentence. “I mean, they’re lovely and all, but it’s cold out.”

Grace laughed a mocking laugh. “It’s a summer night, Catherine, darling. You won’t be cold anyway, not when we persuade some guys to give us a lift.” A sneer spread on her lips, one that I sincerely did not like the look of.

I hesitantly matted down my hair even though it was perfect. I didn’t know how to make my comment seem less contradicting as Grace put it. This was what really separated us: every time she hit the town, she lured some guy in for sex or ‘a ride home,’ whereas I did not. I merely wanted to go out, drink so much that I forgot my life and stumble home at three a.m.

“Is there a problem, Cathy?” Grace said, giving me another daring look. Over her shoulder I could see Suzie doing the same.

If looks could kill, I’d certainly be dead, I thought to myself.

“I just… no, no problem.” Grace squealed again and clapped her hands merrily. The two girls grabbed their purses, and waited downstairs for me while I said I needed to use the bathroom.

I was brought up learning to never give in to peer pressure, and up until now I never had done. I didn’t really stand for that sort of thing, but there was just something about this night that I felt I couldn’t miss. Maybe then everybody would stop calling me an emo freak, at least for another fortnight. I sighed, the sound full of despair, grabbed my bag and headed downstairs to meet them.

“Are you sure you girls don’t want a lift?” Mrs Brown, Grace’s mother, asked lightly as I joined them at the front door. She stared adoringly at Grace and Suzie, but when I came into the picture she merely shot me a scowl and turned back to her daughter.

“If you don’t mind,” Grace flashed her mother an innocent smile.

“No, not at all. Where am I taking you?” She grabbed her keys from the bowl on the miniature table beside her, and her coat from the hooks by the door. “And Gracie darling, will you not be wearing a coat?” When Grace shook her head, her mother turned to Suzie, “What about you Suze? No coat for you?” Suzie shook her head as well, and then her mother opened the door and walked out into the night, so blatantly ignoring me. With a sigh, I followed them all out to Mrs Brown’s car.