Love Sucks - 24

Aaaaaand the final upload of tonight :} ..

Chapter twenty four;

A whole week had passed since I had last seen Alex. I had begun to wonder where he was, but I knew better than to ask questions about his whereabouts. The weather hadn't improved - it was still raining every single day, with reports of floods here and there up and down the country. Pandora stuck around quite a lot. We did absolutely nothing during the day - the odd activity being a trip to the park or we went shopping for a little while; other than that, nothing was on our daily agenda besides lounging around talking and watching films. My life - dare I say it - was almost normal. At least, for a little while anyway.

But when the night fell over the world, I was alone. Pandora would leave and stay gone for the night, and despite knowing somewhere somebody was watching over me, it never rid me of that edge to my night. Usually, I'd spend it getting irritated at Alex or something to do with him - my exact problem. I'd been deprived of his presence for only too long, and I admit to missing him. There was so much we still had to talk about, so many things that had to be said, so many questions to be asked and answered. But how could that progress if he wasn't around?

My body had gotten used to the form I'd sit in when sat on the windowsill - something I did every night.

I stared up at the sky; for the first time in a week, it had stopped raining. The night sky was clear of any clouds, exposing the bright stars and the moon. Although I missed Alex, it made me smile to think that somewhere he was looking up at the same sky as I was. But even those sweet little thoughts didn't keep the recurring nightmares; always the same every night, minus the scene with Alex and others. The same monsters with the same faces and stances saying the same words...

I didn't know what to make of it anymore. I couldn't tell anyone about it; only Pandora was around to listen to me and my thoughts, and she'd forbid me to think anything of it, which I was displeased about. But I guess you have your limits of conversation with everybody - maybe monsters were her weak spot, I'd never know.

I glanced across at my alarm clock - it was ten o'clock at night. I yawned heavily, and slid off of the windowsill, shutting my curtains before wandering over to my bed. I settled down under the covers, but I suddenly felt wide awake. A game I'd been playing with my brain for at least two hours - I'd get up and be tired, so I'd lie down and be wide awake. I was getting cranky, but I knew it wouldn't stop. This is how it had been all week - me unable to sleep, and when I did, it was rubbish and tormented.

An arm wrapped itself around my waist, and just as I was about to scream a voice sounded in the pitch black darkness.

"A penny for your thoughts, princess?" he whispered.

My heart skipped at least five beats before kick-starting into a crazed frenzy as he pulled me closer so that my back was against his chest. I bit down on my lip to stop a smile spreading across my face.

"My mind is closed," I murmured as his legs sought mine under the covers, his arm tightening around my waist. I could feel the rise and fall of his chest against my back, his icy breath causing a strand of my hair to tickle my jaw line.

"Aren't you going to push me away and tell me to get out of your bedroom?" He asked, his tone slightly shocked, but I knew better than to think he wasn't at ease.

"Not tonight, no." I replied.

I'd waited a whole week to endure that of his presence. I'd waited seven days to hear his voice and tonight was the only time I was going to appreciate his presence openly. Plus, I was too tired to ensure he was actually gone, and not just waiting for me to fall asleep before sneaking back in again. He was hard work, but (like everything else about him) I secretly enjoyed the effort.

"Did you miss me?" He snickered.

"I could ask you the same."

"That would be telling," Alex murmured. I chuckled, reaching down to slap his hand, but I froze. The edges of his fingers were bruised, as was his arm. Under his nails were stained red where they'd been bleeding, and badly. His arm had scratches up, too, which had obviously been bleeding.

"Now I'm just as broken and tainted as you are, princess," he whispered.

"How did you know I had thought that?"

"That's a story for another day."

I turned over in the bed, taking a deep breath in ready to loose it again when I saw him.

There he was - lying so close that our noses almost brushed when I turned. His dark hair was scruffy, his emerald eyes absorbing me just as I was absorbing him. His lips were pulled up into a cheeky smirk, but that didn't deflate the bad bruising across his cheekbone and his split lip.

"What happened to you?" I whispered, my fingers brushing the bruising on his cheekbone.

He shrugged. "Nothing's too damaged. I'll be all healed come the morning."

I sighed at the fact he'd avoided my question. He moved his arm from around my waist up to my face, tucking a lock of my blonde hair behind my ear before wrapping his arm around me again. I smiled slightly, and so did he.

"The impossibilities between us are beginning to irritate me," He complained.

I bit down on my lip. "Really, you should apologize for what happened last Saturday. You kissed me, not the other way around."

"Was it even a kiss?" he raised his eyebrows. "But even if it was, I'm not going to say sorry if I don't regret it. Why should I regret kissing someone as pretty as yourself?"

My cheeks burned, and I averted my gaze away from his face. It wasn't long, though, before I wanted to see him again, so I let my eyes wander back to him, our eyes meeting. I laughed a little when he grinned at me, and then I rolled over so that my back was to him again. He wrapped his arms around my waist tightly and pulled me back against his chest. From where my hair was tied up into a pony tail, the rare loose locks hanging out, I could feel his breath on the back of my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

"Alex?"

"Mhm,"

"Why... how have you survived all this time? I mean, I'm scared of...well, eternity."

"Don't be scared," He whispered, "It's not so bad when you've got a reason to live, when you've found that special someone to live eternity for. Plus, it's not like I'm going to let anyone or anything hurt you. I know I'm bad at keeping that one promise, but I can only do my best, princess."

"I know," I replied.

"Anyway, now isn't the time to catch up," He murmured. "Now is the time for sleep. I won't go anywhere... that I can promise you."

"Good night Alex." I said smugly, closing my eyes. His arm tightened around me, and I felt his lips plant a kiss on my throat before he sighed heavily.

I'd never been happier to feel his arm around me, to feel his icy breath trickle on the back of my neck. He was back; and I'd have to put up with his demanding attitude. Something I'd missed for a week, but by tomorrow eve it was guaranteed I'd no doubt be begging for him to leave me alone. Funnily enough, there was a part of me that knew otherwise; he was here with me, though injured, he'd shown a sign of adoration towards me - he wanted to stay with me for the rest of the night. Something I was shocked at; I hadn't yet ordered him away, and I didn't plan to.

As I felt myself slowly drift into unconsciousness, I reached underneath the covers, my hand trailing down his arm, searching for his hand. Which I got - I put my hand on top of his and laced my fingers through his. He responded by overlapping my fingers with his own.

"Good night Cathy," he whispered. I smiled to myself as I felt him settled down behind me before he kissed my hair once, twice... three times. "Sweet dreams."

+ + +