The Fight

Edited

"Today the sky is grey, the moon mourns, and the goddess weeps. We've lost a pack member, a brother, a son, and a mate. One who died to protect the pack whom he loved, and that loved him back, equally. Marcus Santiaz will forever be remembered and loved by the pack he kept safe, the family he belonged to, and the mate whom he loved. May the goddess guide his soul to the moon and may the moon rejoice at his return back home." 

The crowd is full of mourning wolves with their heads down, as I finish reciting the speech I wrote for today. I feel the loss of the warrior in my heart as much as everyone else, maybe a bit more. I failed at my duty to protect my pack and now a man had paid for it with his life. Now I sit up here and speak as if his death was not my fault.

We are not at fault. Our warrior died doing what he did best, protecting the pack. We did as much as we could, now we can only help with the grief. Zelda tells me.

I dont agree but deciding that now wasn't the best time to argue, I moved on.

I walk towards the family and mate of the pack, both in tears. One look at the mate and I can tell she was with child. My wolf whimpers in the back of my head. I give  my condolences and offer my support to the family. I turn to the mate, looking for the words to say.

"Though he is gone, I know you will forever love him. He will live on through the stories you tell your child. The stories of the strong warrior who strived everyday to protect his pack. I am honored to have had him in my pack. If you ever find yourself needing anything, do not hesitate to call, Amanda. I will always answer." I say, giving her what I hope was an encouraging talk. She gives me a small shakey smile. "Thank you, Alpha. He would've been jumping with joy to know that." She tells me, a small chuckle escaping her. I nod my head and shake her hand, saying my goodbyes.

After a funeral, we always run and hunt as a pack. A sort of symbol that signifies pack unity. My territory went on for miles, so we were able to go on 2 hour hunts and runs. I make my way towards the back of the crowd, my position in runs, being in the back. A more of a safety precaution for my pack. I let out a growl to silence the crowd. Once they do, I begin to speak. "Now we run and hunt as one, let us use this time to support and feed each other. If you are staying back, please sit to the sides as the rest of us get ready, thank you." About half the crowd, mostly the elderly and some pups, walks to the sides leaving me with about 30 or so wolves.

My pack was dispersed around my territory. A sub pack here and there. This one I lived in had about 60 or 70 wolves in total.

As im about to strip my clothes off to shift, a dark auburn wolf, waist high, approaches me. I smell the scent and am aware of who it is quickly. "You've just gotten out the hospital a week ago. Are you sure you're ready to hunt with us?" I ask. Riley only nods his head and nudges me with his snout, telling me to get a move on.

I strip myself of clothes, not at all uncomfortable about the nudity, and quickly shift. Once Zelda stretches herself, she lets out a howl, signaling that the hunt is beginning. Riley stands in front of me and we get into an upside down triangle shape, before we take off into the forests to hunt. We run for about an hour before Zelda lets out another howl, this time signaling that we were to hunt here. We stopped in an open field, with mountains nearby. There were sure to be a lot of different animals here to hunt. The pack quickly disperses and they begin to hunt the deers and other wildlife in this location. I stay behind and sit on my haunches, watching as everyone hunts and scouting for danger. Once I'm sure there is none for now, I lay my head down on my paws, still watching, focusing on the pups.

Rileys wolf form approaches me, laying down next to me.

Why are you not hunting? I ask him