CHAPTER 23

Chapter 23 – Logan POV

I rested back, ignoring the goofy looking smile that Chris wore right now; knowing that the first person he reached out to was my sister. I’d give her anything she wanted and despite his actions, she wanted me to accept Chris, make things easier for her because she needed us both like she always had.

‘I need you both Bubba,’ those words cut through me now like they did when I was a young boy, jealous of her relationship with Chris but she never picked, never put one above the other.

She wanted us both, needed us both and loved us both. But the truth was, with my work I traveled, daily, I had found Rainy, and the kids, more kids than I had bargained for but I couldn’t put my work on hold.

With Chris around, I hated to admit that I felt relieved that if I couldn’t be there, he would… yet he had to realize that the Rainy that we just left isn’t the one from ten years ago. He couldn’t push her, force her to be his mate, he had to let her grow, catch up on what she missed, learn to be a new mother.

When Rainy was in that basement, she couldn’t protect those kids, I still don’t think Chris realized that yet, but I had. It was easy to see that ‘no’ was never in these children’s vocabulary, for close to eleven years it hadn’t been in Rainys’ either.

I saw it, when Bailey pushed Chris’ hands away from Kayla, heard it from Rainy, the look in her eyes, the gasp, and the shock in Bailey’s eyes. Chris didn’t see it, the shock wasn’t that he pushed his hand away, I don’t think any of those children; have ever done something like that. Say ‘No.’ Not Rainy, and after doing this for over five years, helping victims in this situation, I’ve heard it all.

‘I just imagine that I’m somewhere else…’

‘I say no in my head, but not out loud, if I say something it only gets worse…’

I shake my head, thinking back to that video, the decisions that Rainy had to make, Kayla, Michael, and Bailey are nine years old, Rainy is twenty-one; so at twelve years old she had to think of a way to make this bearable to them. Had to decide what to tell them about the word outside of what was happening.

Twelve, just a baby herself and I’m sure she did, decided to do what worked for her. Pretend that nothing existed, that we, me, Chris, none of us existed. By the time she gave birth and no one had come for her, she decided no one would come at all, so she never bothered to tell them anything about a world they wouldn’t be a part of.

I can’t, couldn't be angry with Chris, not when I see the bigger picture; she never expected to be found at all. Not by him and not by me.

those kids don’t even know what grass is man, one of the boys told her the ground is poking him,” Masen growled in my head when he had finally got them outside, showing me pictures of their room, showing me the kids.

Jesus… Logan… there are ten kids here!” he told me and instantaneously I told bring them along, their families will want them back, have surely been searching, knowing for sure that only a child that looked like Rainy and two boys that also looked like Chris would be found. I had expected there to be a total of four.

It’s repugnant, the – the filth-” he cut out and I was shocked furious with myself. “Logan… I’m pretty sure that all these kids are your sisters…” he said in a horrified tone, even in my head his response told me all I needed to know, I had taken too long to find her, far too long.

.

.

.

Needing to distract myself, I sent a text to Gabriel, telling him what I had learned about Jax, which wasn’t much.

So that distraction wasn’t much of one at all, still I stopped thinking about every little incident that had happened now. I need to be calm when I got to Whitefire, going in all guns blazing would help no one, because I went out searching for Rainy because of two reasons, love and to prove them that I was right.

However when we saw that clip of Kayla, all thoughts of proving those people in that pack went out the window. It became a race against time, because whatever was happening was also happening to my little niece. Digging deeper we find photos in seedy black drop websites, grown men trading pictures on the down low.

All this time, I had no proof, none that Adina knew anything about this, where Rainy went, but she did and for ten years she kept it to herself. Then again I had no proof of who was really involved just the knowledge that I had to find Rainy, and fast.

.

.

Switching cars, I know we’re only ten minutes away from my old pack, when we get there near the estate they put up a gate a year before Rainy went missing, but it was meaningless because the people on the inside were bringing children to those on the inside, exactly what Adina had done.

Waiting, one of the old pack members walked to the car, “Chris?” he says looking at Chris whose head is still titled backwards with a stupid smile on his face even after we switched cars.

 __________________________________________________

 Vote! Vote! Comment!! 

© 2014 new_season All Rights Reserved