XXIV

“Harry!" I screamed. “Go start up the car!"

“What? Why?"

“Just do it!"

I had received directions from the person on the other line, including which hospital I was supposed to go. I asked what was going on, but they just said that they'd explain when I got there.

Harry stood there, looking confused. “What's going on, Clara?"

I pushed him in the direction of the car. “Just go, you idiot, don't ask questions!"

He finally went outside while I searched for my shoes, putting them on and practically jumping into the passenger's seat.

“Drive!" I ordered, and he did so.

“So, um, where exactly am I taking you?" Harry questioned, taking his sweet time in backing out of the lane way.

“The hospital," I replied, replaying the directions from the dude in my mind.

Harry's eyes widened and he reversed, putting it into drive before speeding off down the road.

“Harry!" I screeched. “Slow down!"

He did. “You're confusing me, Clara! What's going on, and what do you want from me?"

“I want you to go to the hospital quickly, but I don't want you to have to get pulled over because you're going over the speed limit."

“Well, what's going on? Are you pregnant?"

“What? No! I don't know exactly what's going on, but the person on the phone said it was an emergency!"

Harry and I quarreled throughout the entire car ride, and when we finally arrived at the hospital, we were both somewhat sick of each other.

We approached the front desk, and the man at the front greeted us with a smile.

“Hello, how may I help you?" he asked.

“Um, well, someone called me and said we needed to come here," I explained, scratching my head.

“Did they say who you needed to come for?" the man inquired. His name tag read Alex.

“Yeah," I said, looking at Harry before trailing off. I hadn't told him that the person had mentioned his mother; not on purpose, of course, it just kind of slipped my mind while I was freaking out. I was a little apprehensive to mention it now, as I didn't know how he'd react.

Harry turned to look at me as well as the man, making me feel uncomfortable. He probably realized that he never asked who we were here for, and although I never got an exact name, I had a guess.

“Who is it?" Alex quizzed.

“Um, well they mentioned Anne Styles," I said quietly, but Harry still heard me. His eyes widened.

“Oh, yes," Alex said, nodding. “She was brought in earlier this evening. Room one-twenty-four, West ward."

I nodded, saying thank you, before tugging on Harry's sweater sleeve and jogging down the halls.

“Why didn't you tell me it was my mother?" Harry asked harshly.

“Why didn't you ask if it was your mother?" I retorted, looking at signs to try and find my way around. “Look, sorry, it just escaped my mind. I was so busy making sure we actually got here."

Harry didn't say anything; he only nodded.

Although I was sure I knew where I was going, I was wrong, and we got lost. We had to ask a passing nurse where the room was, and it turned out we had actually been going in the opposite direction the entire time.

Finally, we found room 124. I knocked politely before Harry barged on in.

The doctor turned to look at us, pushing her glasses up her nose. Her nurse glanced up briefly before doing whatever he was doing originally.

Harry's and my attention went straight to the person on the hospital bed, and it unfortunately was Anne. She looked horrible and incredibly beaten up. Her face had a bunch of scratches on it, and some were bleeding. Her arms were also torn up, although they looked worse than her face. One of her legs was in a cast.

She was unconscious at the moment, her chest moving up and down. She was in a hospital gown, and I felt like it was for the better; her clothes were probably ripped and bloody as well.

I covered my mouth in shock, feeling horrible. Harry made a strangled noise at the back of his throat.

“Hello," the doctor interrupted, breaking me from my thoughts but not stealing my attention away from the woman on the bed. “I'm Dr. Jones. Are you related to Anne?"

“Um, yes," I spoke up when Harry didn't. “This is her son, and I- I work for her." I felt a little ridiculous by saying that I was his babysitter.

“What happened?" Harry demanded, finding his voice.

“She was involved in a car crash on her way home," Dr. Jones explained. “She took most of the impact from the collision."

“Will she be okay?" Harry asked, sounding like he was close to tears. I wanted so badly to put my arms around him, but I didn't know how he'd react, so I didn't.

“Yes, of course," Dr. Jones assured us, and Harry let out a little breath of relief. “It'll take a few days, of course, but she'll be as good as new in no time."

Harry managed a little smile, before Dr. Jones said we had to leave the room. We did as we were told, sitting on two of the chairs outside of the room.

“So -" I began before Harry pulled me into a big hug. I froze for a second, not sure how to respond, but then I wrapped my arms around him.

“I'm so glad she's going to be okay," he said softly, burying his head into my hair.

“Me too," I whispered, awkwardly stroking his hair. I nearly had a heart attack before I remembered that he cut his hair.

We hugged for a while before I reluctantly pulled away. “So, I should probably get going," I informed him. “You know, finish packing, clean the house, cook a meal…" I trailed off before standing, brushing my hair off of my shoulder. I turned to go, but a calloused hand gently grabbed my wrist. I turned to see Harry looking up at me.

“Will you stay with me, Clara?" he asked. “Please? Just for tonight. I mean -"

I cut him off by smiling and sitting down next to him. “Of course."

~~

hi sorry for not updating for ten days especially after a cliff hanger but here's some clarry to make up for it

I'm writing a story with ewashton called Expectations so you all better go read it or I won't update in another ten days 
/gives hopefully threatening look/

a question for you guys: do you have any fears?? I do I've got chaetophobia (fear of hair), glossophobia (fear of public speaking), and atychiphobia (fear of failure) (plus probably a lot more)

idek why I have a fear of hair like I don't mind it if it's on the head or if it's just a strand of hair but like I recently cut my hair to donate it and I haven't found anywhere yet so I've just got a ponytail laying around and my mom is in love with it but I refuse to go anywhere near it bc it just freaks me out idk

hopefully you guys have got weird fears that you're willing to share so that I won't feel like an idiot :) bye ily all

xx