XIV

“Slow dance, fall in love as the club track plays."

I looked at myself in the mirror, my nose scrunched up. Allie had helped me pick out an outfit over the phone (she was just that good). It definitely wasn't my style, but it was enough that Louis would probably give me back my clothes.

Key word there: probably.

I was wearing pink skinny jeans and a strapless top with a sweetheart neckline. I wasn't comfortable with it, so Allie helped me pick out a beige cardigan to go overtop. I had a brown purse hanging from my shoulder, packed with water and my phone. I assumed the guys would get wasted, and I wasn't trusting Allie not to do anything stupid, so I was the designated driver, I guess.

I curled my hair and put on a bit of make-up before heading downstairs. Louis looked up at me once I entered the room.

“You're not wearing a dress," he said in disappointment.

“That wasn't part of the deal," I pointed out, slipping into some brown boots.

He shrugged. “Whatever. Let's get going." He was wearing a plain gray t-shirt and ripped jeans.

The other four were coming with us, so we all piled into the truck. I sat in between Harry and Louis up front, trying to ignore Louis's suggestive looks coming my way.

Harry pulled into the laneway, and I cringed at the sight of cups all over the lawn. Plenty of people were standing out front, and by the way they were staggering around or laughing hysterically, I figured they were drunk.

We all got out of the truck and Louis stood close to me, snaking his arm around my waist. I had the urge to slap it away, but judging from the looks I was receiving from the opposite gender, I figured that they would make a move if Louis wasn't there.

I kept an eye out for Allie, hoping that she hadn't gotten herself drunk already.

Harry and the rest of them headed off to get drinks, so I sat down on a vacant couch nearby.

The house the party was being held in was impressive, but compared to Harry's, it was a tiny shack. There were only about two floors, and although all the rooms were big, they still didn't come close to Harry's house.

Why was I comparing everything to him?

The music was loud and harsh on my ears, but I got used to it eventually. I spotted Louis, holding a plastic cup (full of alcohol no doubt), searching for me. I remained where I was.

“Oh, Clara!" he called, spotting me on the couch. He pushed a cup that matched his into my hands. I mumbled a “thank you" before setting it on the coffee table next to the couch. “What, you don't drink?" Louis asked, taking a swig of his own cup. I only shook my head, not interested in screaming my lungs off.

Soon, an hour had passed, and Louis was long gone. He got up about a half-hour ago, claiming I was “too boring." Fine with me; I'd rather be alone.

I still hadn't seen Allie, and I mentally cursed her.

“What's a pretty girl like you doin' alone?" a voice slurred, and I turned to see a guy around my age standing in front of me. His hair was slicked up, and it looked greasy, making me scrunched up my nose in disgust.

“Not talking to you," I responded, standing up and walking away. Unfortunately, he grabbed my wrist, pulling me back to him.

“You want some?" he asked, holding his cup out. I pushed it back towards him, the contents of the cup spilling over the edge and splashing onto his shirt. He didn't notice. “How about you and I find an empty room?" he suggested, winking.

“In your dreams," I spat, kicking him right between the legs. He let go of my wrist, doubling over and groaning. Before he had the time to recover, I slipped into the crowd, losing sight of him.

“You bitch!" I heard him roar. I cursed the boys for dying my hair blue; it made me memorable and easy to spot.

I felt someone grab my wrist, and I nearly turned around and punched them in the face, until I realized it was Harry.

“Clara?" he said uncertainly, squinting his eyes at me. “Where are you going?"

“Away from this guy who tried to get me to have sex with him," I explained quickly. “I'm pretty sure he's looking for me right now."

I turned to leave, but Harry didn't release me from his grasp. I turned to face him.

“Dance with me," he said softly. He didn't give me a chance to object, pulling me onto the dance floor as a slow song came on.

I laughed nervously as Harry put his arms around my waist. “Um, Harry, don't you think this is weird-?"

Harry pressed a finger to my lips. “Sh, just go with it."

I slowly put my arms around his neck. He was drunk.

We swayed to the music, steering clear of other dancing couples.

We're not a couple, I told myself harshly.

Our bodies were quite close, however. Harry rested his head on my shoulder halfway through, and my heart began beating erratically.

Sooner than I would've preferred, the song ended. Harry slowly removed his hands, and I did the same, scratching my arms awkwardly.

We got off of the dance floor together, and unexpectedly, Harry tumbled onto a sofa. I let out a shriek, hoping he hadn't passed out. He lifted up his head, his green eyes boring into my blue ones, and a smirk made its way onto his face.

“Harry," I breathed in relief, holding my hand to my heart. “Don't do that- ah!"

Harry had grabbed my other arm and pulled me down so that I was laying on top of him. Blushing, I made a move to get off, but he held my arm firmly.

“Stay," he whispered, twirling a lock of my hair around his finger. Butterflies erupted in my stomach. “Blue hair really suits you, you know."

“R-really?" I stammered, cursing myself for being an idiot. I've always been horrible at accepting compliments.

He nodded slowly, never breaking eye contact. “And your eyes," he continued, brushing away a lock of hair that had fallen in front of my face. “They're like the colour of a rare and precious gem."

I smiled, my face growing hotter by the second. I knew he was drunk and didn't mean anything he was saying, but… it's okay to pretend sometimes, right?

~~

clarry moment aww

okay okay so once school starts I obviously won't be able to update as often but I'm hoping to update at least once a week so yeah cool

alright a couple people (2 but thank you for answering) said that they thought I was sixteen, I'm actually fourteen so I guess that I seem older??

question from @Icecreamharry: From where are you?

my answer: I'm Canada, Ontario, approximately forty-five minutes away from a city called London, which is approximately two hours away from Toronto :)

comment with a question pls :)

thank you guys so much for over 5k reads, 400 votes, and 100 comments it really means a lot I'm serious

so my question for you guys is: how old are you??

sorry these are always so long oops

anyways have a good day

xx