I

"So hold your tongue and hear me out."

"Bye, Mason," I said, giving him a hug. "Bye, Olivia." I gave her a hug as well.

"No, don't go Clara!" the two of them shouted, clinging to my legs.

Their parents picked them up, smiling.

"Thank you, Clara," Amy, their mom, said. "You're the only babysitter they like, so I apologize if we call you all the time."

"It's perfectly fine," I assured them. "I like them, they're adorable and they listen."

Amy nodded, looking relieved. "Okay, good. Are you available next Thursday?"

I checked my calendar. "Yeah, looks like it. If I can't, I'll text you, okay?"

Amy nodded. "Okay, sounds great. I'll see you then!"

I nodded, smiling. "Okay. Bye Mason and Olivia!"

"Bye!" they said in unison.

I opened the door, tucking the money into my purse. I didn't need to get paid, but Amy insisted on it. I loved her kids, they were almost like the little brother and sister I never had.

I was an only child, and my parents basically ignored me. I was an accident, they told me once. They claimed that they still loved me to pieces, but if they did, I never got the vibe.

I guess that's kind of why I wanted to babysit as my job. I didn't want kids to go through what I went through as a child: parents working twenty-four-seven, a horrible babysitter only there for the money and WiFi, ignoring me when I asked to play a game with them.

I didn't babysit for the money, as most people did. I babysat because I wanted the child I was babysitting to feel loved, not neglected.

Since my patents were working, I walked home. Halfway there, it started pouring. I couldn't really do anything about it except put my hood up.

Once I got to my house, I grabbed the key hidden in a lantern and unlocked the door. I ditched my soggy sneakers, closing and locking the door behind me, and then headed to my room to get changed.

One thing I appreciated about my parents working was that they were never home, and I got the place to myself. That sounds bad, but I'm not interested in being ignored.

Once I changed into pajamas, my phone rang. I looked at it to see that my best friend, Allie Styles, was calling.

“Yes?" I answered, holding it with my head and my shoulder as I made myself a sandwich.

“Hey, Clara," she began.

I sighed. “What do you want this time?"

“Okay, you have to promise to listen to me," she said. “I don't ask you for favours often"- I snorted -“and this is really important."

“Just get to the point, Al," I said, yawning.

“Okay, okay," she said. “You know my aunt?"

“The one who works all the time?" I asked.

“Yeah, that one," Allie said. “Well, she needs a babysitter for her son and I thought you'd be interested."

I frowned, twirling my hair around my finger. “Didn't you say he just got a new one yesterday?"

Allies exhaled. “Um, yeah. He doesn't tend to like his babysitters, so he finds some way to get rid of them."

I swallowed nervously.

“But he's a great guy, once you get to know him!" she interjected.

“Have you ever met him?" I asked.

“Well, no, but I've heard about him," she answered. “He never comes to family reunions, and I don't understand why. I was always forced to go! Anyway, Anne will meet you tomorrow, if you agree to babysit, and show you your room and such."

“Wait," I said. “My room?"

“Yup," Allie said. “She's going to New York to do something for her job, and she'll be gone for a week."

I nodded slowly. “Okay."

“So, will you do it? She's offering to pay ten dollars an hour," Allie said nonchalantly.

I nearly choked on my own saliva. “That's a lot."

“It is," Allie agreed. “Are you up for it?"

“I guess," I said.

Allie squealed. “Perfect! I'll text you her address! Bye, love ya girl!"

I ended the phone call, not sure what I was getting myself into.

~~

chapter one yay

dedicated to @stylescas bc I love her and she needs to update more often or I'll flip a table

/smiles innocently/