Chapter Sixteen | More Problems

-------------------------------------------------------

Jack's P.O.V.

After June spoke, everyone was silent, and I don't know why, but for some reason I felt anger boil in me.

Before I could stop myself, I began screaming. "Are you kidding me? What is all this shit for? I mean, we haven't even solved one of our problems yet. We have almost half of the world after us, and yet you're telling me that we have even more problems? I need to take a break from this." I just turned around and left.

I walked into the living room and let myself fall on the couch, laying on my side tiredly. Is this a joke? Who comes up with this?

A few days ago, I was just a normal teenage boy who was late for classes and went to parties. Sure, I was a beta, but this is ten times worse. Now, it's like everything was messed up. I just want to rest for a bit and not worry about my mates' safety. I'm only a nineteen-year-old boy, but I feel like an old man.

I felt my head being lifted up and put in someone's lap. Then my feet's were also lifted in the air and put on another person's lap. I didn't open my eyes, but I felt Daniel's hands go through my hair, and Lana's arms hold my legs, rubbing patterns over my jeans soothingly.

I heard Daniel sigh deep before speaking. "I understand what you're feeling, Jack. I feel the same way, but we just can't go back in time. We have to keep going and try to protect everyone we love. I get it if you don't want to help me anymore and if you want to just go on living your own carefree life." His voice sounded so sad that I had to open my eyes and look into his.

I gave him a smile and grabbed the back of his head, pulling him down to press my lips gently on his. When I let go of him I said, "You know, I would never leave you and Lana alone. Besides, who would be there to cheer you guys up?" I smiled brightly at them. I jumped off the couch and shouted: "Mason and June, stop making out and tell us what this next problem is about!"

I heard Daniel chuckle at my mood swings. At that point, I was just like a girl. I could be sad one moment and hyper the next. Right now, though, hiding behind my happiness was sadness, but I couldn't give thought to my feelings because I just needed to protect others. I know it was selfish of me to snap at June like that. I just had to suppress my own feelings and focus on the safety of other people.

Mason and June walked into the living room, and June went to sit on a chair while Mason sat at her feet with his back against her legs. I took my seat between my two mates.

"Well, June, could you maybe tell us about Chelsea's family?" She looked at me without saying anything, just studying me. I didn't really trust her, but Lana looked like she did, so I just sucked it up and accepted June.

"Chelsea's family is a disreputable company. They trade in almost everything like drugs, weapons, and other things like nukes. They are a family who is even taken into account by the mafia. A few days after someone poses a threat to them, that person disappears and is never seen again."

It was silent while everyone was thinking about this new-found information. I already expected something like this. Don't get me wrong. It still sucks, but the way June spoke before, I already suspected that it was something terrible.

June's P.O.V.

I looked at the tired faces of the people in front of me. I was programmed to deal with harsh circumstances, but they weren't.

"Guys, go and take a rest. They are not that stupid to attack today, but if you guys keep on worrying about it and don't get any sleep, you won't be able to stay sharp when they do attack." Jack looked like he wanted to go against me, but Daniel spoke first.

"I think that's a good idea. I haven't slept well these few days, and I think a little rest could clear our minds." He nodded at Mason and me and then looked at his mates. We understood the silent message and bowed our heads at him before leaving.

We went outside quickly; it was already becoming dark. We set off to Mason's house. After a few minutes of silences, Mason spoke.

"There is a lot of you I don't know, isn't there?"

"There are a lot of things I don't know about you either," I answered.

"Yes, but I mean things you're probably never going to tell me about your life in the Mafia."

"I don't know if I will ever tell you because maybe after that you won't want to be my mate anymore." I looked at the ground to avoid his eyes. He stopped and grabbed my hand with one of his hands while lifted my chin with the other.

"I won't ever reject you as my mate, and it's okay if you don't want to talk about your life with the mafia." His lips came closer to mine. I stood there like a statue, my body -for the first time in my life- did nothing. It was terrifying.

My wolf, Kesha, was shouting with joy in my head that she could finally kiss her mate's perfect lips. She had been drooling over them for days. His lips were a few centimeters away from me.

Then, a few twigs snapped in the woods we were standing in front of. Finally, my body was able to move again, and I went to stand in a defensive mode, facing the woods. I felt Mason stand next to me and whisper in my ear, "Let's go check it out."

We silently made our way into the woods, and after a minute, we saw four rouges wandering around. Luckily for us, they were in their human forms. They all had a particular smell telling us they were all from the same pack.

"They are just spies who are looking at what they are up against, but we have to eliminate them before they bring useful information to their alpha," I whispered to Mason. He nodded at me. I counted back from three on my fingers and then we began our attack.

I jumped on the back of the first person, and before he even knew what was happening, I snapped his neck. Mason did the exact same thing with another one. I charged at my second target. He tried to punch me, but I slid between his legs and tackled him to the ground. I had studied the human body well, so I knew exact points to hit a person and kill him.

I put my heel down with force precisely on the point so I would break his spine. It gave a sickening crack, but I wasn't bothered as I heard the sound time and time again. I looked at my kills and did a quick prayer to the heavens to let them in. I am not a totally heartless killer. When I looked at Mason, I saw him with one arm around a guy's neck choking him. He looked deadly. Kesha was drooling again at this site and screaming at me that we got such a hot mate. When Mason looked at me, he gave me a wink, and I smiled, agreeing with Kesha.

"Who are you working for," my mate asked the guy. The guy just laughed like a maniac.

"They're going to kill you and your lovely mate. No, wait, first, they going to f*ck your mate and then slowly and painfully kill her." He laughed maniacally. The next thing I heard was a crack from the guy's neck, and Mason dropped the guy to the ground.

"Seriously, was that necessary," I asked him.

"Yes, it was," He said seriously. He put his hand out for me and said, "let's go home," while smiling at me.

I sighed but grabbed his hand and let myself be dragged to his house. I let my mind wonder about today, but for some reason, it kept getting back to what happened in the dungeons. The woman in red, it couldn't be her. Could it?

She was dead. She was a monster, and she was dead. At least, that's what I believed before today. I let out a deep sight. This pack really is cursed.