52. Humor Me

"Dude, relax," the elf laughed, looking at Harry like he was insane. I couldn't blame him though. Harry was glaring at the kid like he'd committed a murder.

I just rolled my eyes, turning back to the kid to take the ticket, "My boyfriend's a pussy," I groaned, tightening my grip on Harry's hand and hauling him away from the costumed kid.

"Am not!" He argued, his tone that of an offended child.

"Man of up and talk to an elf, then. When that happens we can talk. Until then, wait here so you don't shit your pants again while I go get our picture."

Darien Grace

After Harry's meltdown at Santa's village, he made sure to avoid any elf-related instances or activities—basically we wandered around aimlessly, avoiding any of the main holiday attractions. I was freezing my ass off and my feet were killing me. I'd been in heels for six hours straight at Daniel's the night before and now I was trudging around New York during the prime of holiday season.

Oh, how wonderful.

"Can we please just pick a warm place and sit?" I groaned, bringing my hands to my mouth and blowing on them. I was struggling to reintroduce some sort of warmth. The cold had managed to invade my gloves and I swore if I took them off my fingers would have been blue.

"No more elves?"

"Jesus fuck, okay! No more damn elves; just get me inside!" That man really was a child. He and I both knew that elves were not real, so it didn't make any sense for him to be scared of them. It was just plain stupid.

"There's a Barnes and Noble around the corner," he nodded his head forward and, immediately, I lit up. Barnes and Noble meant warmth and Starbucks—two of the things that I desperately needed back in my life.

"Buy me a latte and you have a deal," I grinned up at him. He just shook his head, a small smile curling his lips before agreeing, "Thank you!" I bounded forward and into the building. I swore I almost melted on the spot—the heat from the massive store and the scent of coffee overwhelming in their intensity.

"Come on; I want to show you something," he began to pull me towards the escalators and away from the sanctuary the Green Lady provided.

"I seem to remember you promising me a latte?" I huffed, already being carried toward the second floor.

"And you'll get it. I just want to show you something first."

"Fine, but now it's a venti." I grumbled, crossing my arms across my chest and pouting. This hadn't been part of our deal. I didn't recall agreeing to show and tell. We switched escalators again, only stopping once we'd reached the Children's section. Little humans were screaming and running everywhere. It was absolute chaos. Whoever had said that bookstores were supposed to be peaceful obviously hadn't been to New York City in December.

"You know I don't do kids."

"I'm not asking you to deal with them, I'm asking you to try to remember what it was like to be one."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're going to discover the mastermind that is Dr. Seuss."

"You're joking, right?"

"Not in the slightest. Theodor Geisel is essential to all adolescent, and in your unique case, post-adolescent development. He is by far the world's leading expert on children."

"Yes, but I'm not a child," I argued, my irritation flaring. He wasn't listening to me. I didn't want to sit in a kid infested place and read nonsense. I wanted a nice latte and then a long night full of kinky fuckery. That was literally all I wanted and I was usually pretty damn good at making sure I got exactly that.