19. I Was Hooked

Harry Styles

"Nose out of the book." I grinned at the sound of the familiar voice, gladly closing the tattered copy of Brave New World, setting it aside to take the steaming mug.

"Thanks, Lee.''

"It doesn't matter how many times I tell them to buy proper dishes, they absolutely refuse to buy real teacups," she grumbled, cradling her own cup between her ring covered hands, inked doodles swirling around the pale surface of her fingers.

"And yet you absolutely insist upon telling them to every time. If assimilation really bothers you that much why don't you bring your own?"

"It's the principle of the thing. There's not a shop in London without a decent cuppa."

"You've been here for what, three years now? Assimilate, you stubborn broad," I laughed, settling deeper into the worn arm chair.

"Absolutely not, one of us has to keep the faith," she teased, absently fingering the feathers she had wound into her wild, light brown hair. Feathers this week, multicoloured strips the last, what could she possibly have planned for next week?

"In what?"

"Their ability to progress. This was a civilised colony once, there's always room for improvement."

"Best of luck in your one woman revolution," I chuckled, moving my glasses off of my nose and pushing them back into my hair, pulling a few wayward hairs off of my forehead in the process.

"Have some national pride, Harriet!" She quipped, batting me on the back of the head.

"Don't give me that; I happen to like this country."

"Fine, then care to explain where the hell you've been? I haven't seen you in weeks."

"It's been five days."

"Exactly."

"I've been taking care of a few things." I shrugged, unwilling to elaborate.

"Is she hot?"

"What masks you think that there's a girl?"

"I know the symptoms of blue balls when I see them. Now is she hot? I mean gods, she'd have to be if she's got you taking cold showers."

"Leala-." I warned, glaring at the eccentric girl.

"Do you think she's a switch hitter?" She asked, quirking an eyebrow up at me, a wicked grin spreading across her lips.

"Bloody hell, Lee!"

"What? You're not giving me anything! At least give me a name!" I paled, rubbing out the migraine that I already felt coming on. I knew that the second I said her name heads would turn and Leala would freak. She isn't exactly known for her subtly.

"Can we please do this later?"

"Why? So you have time to come up with some bullshit story? No, we're doing this now."

"What are we not doing?" Maddox asked, dropping down into the arm chair next to me. His usually tame dark hair was messy and his jaw covered in unusual day old scruff.

"The girl who has Harry's dick on a leash," Leala yawned, her narrowed eyes never leaving my face. I rolled mine at her, sipping from the mug she'd brought me. "A name, Hadley," she prompted.

"Long night?" I turned to Max, completely ignoring her.

"Couldn't sleep. Someone was too busy getting it on with the redhead she brought home," he grumbled, shooting Lee a glare.

"Oh, come on. You saw her. Plus what kind of woman would I be if I didn't help a few co-ed's live out their kinky lesbian fantasies? Personally, I think that I'm doing this world a service."

"You're servicing something," he chuckled, dropping his head down against the back of the chair.

"Don't be bitter, apparently we're both getting more quim than Harry-boy, here."

"What?"

"Jesus, we've lived together for two years. You think you'd have learned something by now. How do you American's put it... 'pussy', or 'piece of ass'. Clear?" She curled her fingers in the air, the intention behind the action mocking. Her voice carried around the entire shoppe, heads turning to look at us from every direction.

"You want a bullhorn Lee?" I mumbled, staring into my cup.

"You honestly think I need one? Now, quit stalling and give me all the naughty bits."

"You're one annoying twat, you know that?"

"Why Harry Styles! How dare you say such a thing?"

"Come on man, you know that she's not going to let it go until you tell her everything," Max sighed, sipping on his espresso.

"I can dream, can't I?" The both of them were as opposite as night and day. Where Max was calm and reserved, Leala acted without thought; if she wanted something, she went for it.

"Tell me or I swear will ask every damn student on the grounds. I sincerely doubt you want all of NYU knowing about your wet dreams." I knew better than to underestimate Leala. Last year someone had tried to spread a rumor that they'd fucked in the shower. She'd practically castrated the guy before grabbing hold of the closest co-ed and shoving her tongue down her throat—he'd transferred after that.

"Darien Grace," I mumbled, pinching the bridge of my nose between my thumb and my forefinger. I knew I was going to regret telling her; I just fucking knew it.

"You're joking," Max sputtered, choking on his coffee. Leala was fighting to suppress the massive smirk I could see pulling at the edges of her mouth as she banged her best friend on the back.

"You can't even get the campus slut to bang you? Damn Henry, you're a bit worse for wear."

"Don't Lee," I growled, glaring at her surprised face. I'd never gotten mad at her before; Leala was one of the guys in every way aside from the fact that her b-cups were strewn all throughout hers and Max's flat.

"What? You know as well as I do that the girl has every disease in the book. If I were you, I would get out now while you still have a clean bill of health. I mean sure she's hot, but I would even be too scared to go down on that."

"Isn't she in your class?" Max asked, sitting back into his chair, pensively running his index finger around the rim of his mug. I ducked my head. I knew that this would come up eventually, "Harry, if anything does happen between you two, she won't be the one to get in trouble. You will. This could jeopardize your future."

"I know. Why do you think I've lasted this long? She's infuriating," I groaned, pulling on the roots of my hair. Pointlessly, I hoped that the numb pain would help to clear at least some of the confusion.

"I'm guessing she's all too willing to add hot British Professor to the notches on her bedpost?"

"I-... I feel like it's more than that."

"Maybe to you, you poor innocent boy. I know how women like Ren think. You're a phase. Once she gets what she wants, she's going to move on, leaving you with a broken heart and too many diseases to count."

"We don't mean to gang up on you or pressure you, but you need to be careful. This is the type of situation that ruins careers. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to you." Max watched me pensively, ever the reason behind Leala's heated argument.

"I don't understand what is so wrong about a relationship between two consenting adults?" I groaned, already knowing the answer before Maddox replied.

"You're in a position of authority. No matter the age difference, you hold power over her. Third parties may view that as a way for you to take advantage of her."

"She's the one trying to take advantage of me," I grumbled, rubbing the heels of my hands over my eyes. I didn't have to see her again until tomorrow. That should have been more than enough time for me to get my shit together and clear my head, but I knew it wouldn't work. She was addictive. One taste and I was hooked.