42. As You Wish

"Sushi and a spa day sound good? The Dads' birthday treat?" She crooned, banking on my saying yes. I knew that they'd thrown in the full treatment for her as well. I couldn't deny her that, especially after she'd been babysitting my drunk and moody ass for a week. Mentally, I promised my bed a raincheck and allowed her to steer me towards the Upper East Side and all of its amenities.

Darien Grace

Groaning, I stared into the mirror. I'd agreed to be Jas's personal barbie for the night. She was better with versatile make up and hair, while I just styled for the first event and prayed that it worked for the second. Since I had a shift from hell at Daniel's and then the Delta Chi party afterwards, it was tricky. She claimed that it would be easy though, saying "it was a cinch" since my costumes for the two starkly different events were fairly similar.

We'd agreed to go for the tainted-Aphrodite look for the entire night. My dress for Daniel's being composed entirely of long, flowing ebony chiffon, wrapping elegantly around my body. It fell off of both of my shoulders, golden crest details pinning the fabric together,; long tendrils of billowy chiffon trailed behind me from the excess fabric. The plunging "V" shaped neckline was daring and sensual. It was accentuated by the lack of fabric starting at the inch long strip connecting each side of the dress below my shoulder blades to keep the top from falling; bare skin showed all the way down until just beyond the dimples at the base of my spine. There was a massive slit on the right side, traveling all the way up to my hip. The fabric connected just in time for me to wear a thong. I wasn't entirely sure that Sebastien and all of the wonderful patrons of Daniel's would be happy with a cunt shot.

The dress was a Grecian dream. I knew that if it had been in white, I'd be the epitome of the goddess I'd planned on impersonating, but in black... it was far more daring— more Darien Grace. My Aphrodite was tainted and I loved her for it.

Carefully, Jas scooped half of the tumbling curls up off of my neck and began to pin them back using the delicate gold-brushed laurel leaf pins around the crown of my head.

At the spa, she'd insisted we try something different and I'd agreed to add temporary black dye to the base of my hair, fading upward into my signature deep amethyst. It was striking, but it would fade within a week. The tips of my hair blended in almost perfectly with the midnight fabric of my dress and it was hard to recognize the woman staring back at me in the mirror. The scorching shadow that Jas had applied around my eyes was the deepest shade of burnished gold I'd ever seen— her application accentuating my eyes in a way I hadn't thought possible. Hell, I was decent with makeup, but Jas... she was nearly a professional; she was always doing the makeup for the other theatre majors.

The deep plum she'd spread on my lips bounced off of my skin with the rest of the dark ensemble giving me an eery glow that made my skin crawl deliciously. The only pieces of 'light' in the entire image were the gold leaves in my hair, the gold spiral upper arm cuff, gold and onyx drop earrings, the few accents on my dress, and my eyes. She'd even managed to turn the plum colored bruises covering my chest into part of the ensemble. I was dancing the line between grotesque and magnificent. It was a work of art.

"My dear, I do believe we are ready for the best show of our lives. I'd kill to see Harry's face when he sees you in this," Jas whistled, appraising me with her eyes in the full length mirror. I'd conceded into returning to the McKenney's for the night to get ready as all of my work clothes were in my closet there. I couldn't exactly show up to work in sweats and my Docs. Sebastien would have my head.

"He won't be," I stated firmly. I still had no idea what I was going to do with the Darling Professor.

"Oh, come on Dari. What did he do to be in the doghouse this long?" Jas watched me sympathetically in the mirror and I sighed.