36| E v e l y n

All my flowers grew back as thorns
Windows boarded up after the storm
He built a fire just to keep me warm
All the drama queens taking swings
All the jokers dressin' up as kings
They fade to nothing when I look at him

- Call it what you want, Taylor Swift

36| Evelyn

Evelyn paused. The door beside her burst open and was closed immediately. Evelyn opened her mouth to say something. Mason covered her mouth with his palm.

"Shh," Mason whispered. "Mallory's here." 

Evelyn's eyes went wide. She stared at him. Both of them were holding their breathes. Evelyn's heart rate was going up. This time, not because of anxiety, not because of the anticipation, but because Mason was right in front of her just a breathe away, with his hand over her mouth. Evelyn gulped.

Mason was looking down at her with an unreadable look. His gaze was so intense, Evelyn forgot to breathe.

Then there was another giggle out there. Mason backed a step away silently.

"How did you-" Evelyn whispered.

"I heard her voice," Mason said in a low whisper.

This time another laugh was heard. Evelyn could swear it was Bryan. It meant both of them was in the room. Evelyn and Mason looked at one another. They nodded.

Mason turned and opened the door as little as possible. Evelyn stood by the door facing him. They waited.

"Hey, you know, I love you," It was undoubtedly Bryan.

Evelyn wet her lips with her tongue. Mason was looking down at the floor.

"I love you too," Mallory said.

Evelyn covered her mouth to make sure she didn't make any sound. Mason was gritting his teeth. Evelyn held out her hand and closed it around his.

"Why did you leave then?" Bryan asked.

"I didn't have any choice. After the accident-" Mallory was cut off.

"After the accident, after the accident," Bryan's voice was rising. "You have told the school the same story. They don't know what happened. I know what happened." Bryan said.

"I just wanted a break," Mallory said.

Evelyn looked up at Mason, confused. Something was not in the place. Mason was trying to focus on their talk.

"You wanted a break from what?" Bryan said. His voice even higher.

Mason was about to open the door. Evelyn held him by his wrist and shook her head no. Mason stopped.