18| E v e l y n

Think I just remembered something
I think I left the faucet running
Now my words are filling up the tub
Darling you're just soaking in it
But I know you'll get out the minute
You notice all your fingers pruning up

- Soap, Melanie Martinez

18| Evelyn

A sound of thunder rumbled outside, "It's gonna rain again."

"Yeah," Evelyn said and pulled back from him.

"I should get going," He said and waited for her response. She nodded. Taking his hand, she got out of her room and climbed downstairs. Dad was standing by the side of the stairs.

"He just got a call from his mom. It is an emergency. He had to go home." Evelyn said looking up at Mason.

"Oh." Her dad replied. "Then you should get going." Mason nodded at him.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, sir," Mason said. Dad nodded in reply.

"Let me walk you out," Evelyn said, and not giving her dad any chance to talk further, she pulled Mason with her.

Reaching outside, they made their way towards Rosy. Standing beside it, he waited with his hand still intertwined with hers.

"I am sorry," Evelyn said.

"You don't have to be. You did nothing. " Mason assured.

Evelyn sighed. She didn't wanna go back inside her house anymore. She wanted to go far away from all this. "It's okay." He said.

"Can't we just run away?" She asked suddenly looking up at Mason's blue eyes. He kept silent.

He smiled after a few seconds. "You wanna run away with me?" A mischievous look and a cocky grin showed up on his face.

"Hey!" She punched on the side of his arm.

"Evelyn Reyes wanna run away with me. Couldn't feel luckier." Mason suggested while still smiling.

"I hate you," Evelyn said with wiggled eyebrows. Mason looked down at their hands and looked up at her eyes. For some unknown reason, Evelyn's cheek felt hot.

"Can totally see that," Mason said almost in a whisper. If Evelyn's cheek felt hotter earlier, it was nothing compared to what she was feeling right now. It felt as if her whole body was radiating heat like blazing fire. Wasting no time, she pulled her hand out of his hold and suddenly didn't know what to do with it.

As if nature was on her side, another thunder rumbled and Mason looked up at the sky. A cold breeze picked up and Evelyn hugged herself.

"See you in the morning. Good night." Mason said looking at her.