31| E v e l y n

Oh baby
Why don't you just meet me in the middle
I'm losing my mind just a little
So why don't you just meet me in the middle
In the middle
Baby
Why don't you just meet me in the middle
I'm losing my mind just a little
So why don't you just meet me in the middle
In the middle

- The Middle, Maren Morris, Zedd

31| Evelyn

After lunch, the day was event less. Mallory didn't do anything suspicious. Evelyn went to a coffee shop with Rita. They did their homework together, checked out some e-books and then Evelyn headed for home.

Evelyn climbed up the stairs to her room and opened her bedroom door. Getting in, she took a deep breathe and closed it. Turning around, she almost had a heart attack.

Mason lay sleeping on his stomach in her bed, wrapped up in her cover, with his legs askew. Evelyn tip toed forward to get a better look. His hair was covering his forehead, even in his sleep, his mouth was etched into a deep frown.

Evelyn sighed. He cared a little too much, but it was his family after all.

Evelyn jumped again when the front door shut. Maybe Dad just got home. Evelyn looked at her bed.

Shit.

There was no way Evelyn could hide his body now. He was big enough to cover the whole bed all on his own and Evelyn wouldn't be able to pretend it was just covers there. Besides, moving him was impossible, as she remembered from past, he was quite heavy.

Evelyn groaned silently. It was always her dad and Mason. Evelyn somehow got in trouble every time.

She sat on her study table summarizing how much she would tell Mason about today and the school works he would need to catch up on. She silently prayed Dad didn't come upstairs like the good dad he had become recently.

Not long after, Evelyn's bedroom's door opened.

I am dead.

Dad peeked in from behind a door, "Already home?"

Evelyn gulped and nodded yes.

Please don't look at my bed. Don't look at my bed.

Dad then noticed the body in the bed. He raised a questioning eye brow and glanced at Evelyn. Evelyn gulped.

She set towards her door without making any sound and swiftly closed the door, ushered her dad downstairs.

"Let me explain." Evelyn said.

"I didn't say anything," Dad shrugged.

"Still, you should know."

Evelyn wanted the communication between her and her father clear. She needed him to know.