26| M a s o n

When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It's where my demons hide
Don't get too close
It's dark inside
It's where my demons hide 
where my demons hide

- Demons, Imagine Dragons

26| Mason

Mason looked down at his palm. He remembered everything, every single detail of that night, when everything went wrong. When he was suddenly pushed to the light from his darkness. He was blinded and he didn't like what he saw.

He saw Mallory, drunk, weak and helpless, out of her mind.

He saw his best friend, right by her side, ignoring her.

He saw himself doing nothing about it for so long.

"Mason," Evelyn whispered almost. The dim light from refrigerator could do nothing to eradicate the darkness. It only made Evelyn's dried tear trails conspicuous.

"Mallory was never a mama's kid." Mason said," She was quite rebellious and always did everything Mom told her not to."

"Great!Then we'd best friends!" Evelyn exclaimed. Mason smiled a little.

"No, I mean it. She and Mom, never got along. My mom was everything about healthy lifestyles, rules and regulations. Mallory was, "I'd just follow my heart." " Mason said.

"That's why I said we'd best friend," Evelyn nodded.

"She gave mom a lot of trouble always. But whenever mom tried to scold her she'd hide behind dad. Mallory and Dad always shared a special bond. They were like best friends." Mason said smiling.

"And let me guess, you were the perfect Mama's boy." Evelyn said smiling and later on rolling her eyes.

"Kind of." Mason shrugged. "Mom never complained about me, so maybe."

Evelyn laughed a little and patted on Mason's shoulder.

"Hey!" Mason ducked, "You are making fun of me."

"Whoa, how?" Evelyn said biting her lips and then laughing.

"Stop it," Mason said.

"Let's continue our story." Evelyn said making her face devoid of emotions sitting straight.

"Whatever, Mallory never did anything too bad. She knew her limits always. She might be the social butterfly, the party loving girl, she might be a little air-headed, but she never crossed her limits. Until Mom and Dad died." Mason said. The lump in his throat made it hard for him to pronounce any syllable. But he continued.

"It was just like any other day. Mom and Mallory again had a fight because the night before Mallory stayed at Diana's and she didn't tell Mom beforehand.

"I tried to talk to Mal like I always do. I tried to make her understand that Mom was worried but she said, Mom was always trying to control her and not letting her live freely.

"However, then I told her about something I had been planning for a while. That week Mom and Dad had been working very hard for a new product launch. So I wanted them to finally have a vacation so they can stay away from all this office stress. I bought air tickets for them, flight to Miami.

"Mallory asked me if I was going to hand them off the tickets that day. I said yes and the flight was the very day and it will be quite a surprise to them. She said nothing. I told her to go with me so we can hand the ticket to them together. She said it was my idea and left the house.