20| E v e l y n

And now your song is on repeat
And I'm dancin' on to your heartbeat
And when you're gone, I feel incomplete
So if you want the truth

I just wanna be part of your symphony
Will you hold me tight and not let go?
Symphony
Like a love song on the radio
Will you hold me tight and not let go?

-Symphony, Zara Larsson, Clean Bandit

20| Evelyn

Evelyn leaned further down on her history book just to convince the teacher that she was reading. In reality she wasn't. Her mind was anywhere but here.

The incident that took place in the morning kept playing over and over inside her head. Mason Stewart brimming with rage and vengeance with the animal part of him showing out in broad daylight. He had punched the life out of Alex. But Evelyn did nothing to stop him. She was too shocked to move a limb to see the other part of Mason that she thought was nonexistent. A part of her was actually starting to believe that whatever rumor had made Mason seem like a bad boy was not true at all. He was not reckless and cold hearted though he seemed at first. He was gentle, a bit jerk yes and also stubborn in a way.

But today everything changed and the worst part about it was, Evelyn was there when it happened.

After the words she heard getting out of Alex's mouth, she was angry. She had been called many names behind her back before. But it still rang in her ear.

And after what Alex said about Mallory, Evelyn couldn't tell how else Mason could have reacted. Evelyn didn't support him going all violent, but if she was at his place, she couldn't imagine what she could have done. Alex was talking about his sister.

Evelyn sighed heavily. She could not imagine what Mason must have been going through. She knew she needed to see him as soon as possible. She waited desperately for the bell to ring.

After a few moments it finally did and Evelyn quickly packed her bags and headed for the cafeteria. She wondered if she would actually found him there. But she had to try.

She heard in the hallway that Mason was most certainly expelled from the school for the scene he caused because the school had no violence rules. But she also heard someone saying Alex had gone blind because of the fight, which she knew was not true. These high school rumors had no limits.

What if he actually was expelled?

As soon as the thought entered her brain, she shook her head. It simply couldn't happen. She didn't even want to imagine it.

She walked towards their usual table. The people around her stopped talking as they spotted her. Some hushed under their breathe. Evelyn even saw someone pointing fingers towards her. When she almost made it to the table, some girl brushed past her and she heard her whisper, "Whore."