24| E v e l y n

You shout it out

But I can't hear a word you say
I'm talking loud not saying much
I'm criticized but all your bullets ricochet
You shoot me down, but I get up

I'm bulletproof nothing to lose
Fire away, fire away
Ricochet, you take your aim
Fire away, fire away
You shoot me down but I won't fall, I am titanium

-Titanium, Sia

-Titanium,  Sia

24| Evelyn

Evelyn shifted and opened her eyes and breathed out. She had little arms wrapped around her stomach. She looked down to the little girl she had sleeping next to her. Her blonde hair was falling on her cheeks and Evelyn brushed them aside. Carefully, she slid her arms from her stomach and sat up. She still had that story book on her lap. The same story book with stories of princesses and their beautiful kingdoms and their princes.

Evelyn put the book on the bedside table and stood up. Taking a deep breathe, she got out of the room turning off the light and closing the door. The hallway was empty. Everybody must had been asleep. She crossed two rooms before turning to the one she would be sleeping in. Madyline had already showed her the room in the morning.

Evelyn sat down on the bed and pulling her legs up, she hugged her knees. She could not ignore the heaviness that was dawning on her every second. Evelyn knew she agreed with Mason to come here not only because he needed to get outside the town. The truth was, Evelyn wanted to get out of her house too. It was no home to her at all.

Evelyn thought getting out of there, she would feel free, she would feel good. But she didn't.

When she first reached here, she was happy. She never thought a guy like Ethan could have such a lovely family but he did. The twin brothers were adorable and so was Raine.

Evelyn took time to check out there family photos that hung on their walls. And that was when she felt empty. As the day approached, she proceeded to feel emptier. It was the little things.

It was when Raine had food all around her mouth and Madyline wiped it off for her while scolding but Evelyn didn't miss the love in her eyes. It was when Ethan was screaming at the top of his lungs at the boys because they left their toys on the floor. He said he would beat them to pulps and the boys were so scared they ran. When they were gone, Ethan smiled and walked away. The day got older, the more things like this she would notice.

And the worst was Raine. Raine was a little princess in her pink world dreaming about unicorns, running around whining but nobody complained. From Ethan to Madyline to even the twins, they loved her to the bits.

So when she thought, Raine was just like her, a spoiled little kid who would dream for too much and would mess up everything when she grew up, how she was going to break herself and how she was going end up like Evelyn, Evelyn realized she never would.