Chapter Fifteen.

Chapter Fifteen.

As Luke flew farther and farther away from the tattoo parlor, his concern for his friend's well being grew in his chest, but he was also a bit more than a little preoccupied at the fact that he had to show Elle what he was. Granted, he wasn't under any actual ruling, since he was a fallen angel and he responded to no one now. But he knew that in God's eyes, he was breaking at least 10 celestial laws. The thought made him nauseous. It's not like he had done it on purpose, it was either doing this or letting the Sluaghs take Elle's soul, which wasn't even an option. The only way those ghosts would have her soul is over his dead body; literally.

The sky was still a dark blanket over them.

When he could see the outskirts of town, he descended into the rooftop of an old-looking building. When his feet touched solid ground, he let go of Elle.

He took a step back, as he watched her. It took her a few seconds to muster the courage to look at him. She couldn't even begin to wrap her head around what had just happened. When her eyes looked up at him, Luke could see them pausing at the place he knew his wings were. He could put them away, but it's a lengthy process and he knew that he may need them again, so he didn't. But he wish he could, because they were obviously a distraction for her and he felt very self conscious. Now she knew his biggest secret, something that he was hoping he could keep hidden forever. He was ashamed of what and who he was, he was afraid that she would finally see that he wasn't worthy of her. He never did deserve someone like her, but he convinced himself that he could work hard to actually be worthy.

"So.." Elle said, dragging out the word as she shifted uncomfortably under Luke's gaze.

"So," Luke echoed just after her.

"So you're a- well, you know," Elle was having trouble finding the right words to say. She swore under her breath.

"I'm a fallen angel," Luke said quietly.

"Right," was all she said.

Silence stretched between them as they each did a poor job of trying not to look at the other. This went on for a few minutes until Luke couldn't take it anymore. He reached out a hand to touch her arm, but Elle took a step back.

Luke tried to swallow the hurt. It was an understandable reaction from her part, he knew that, but it still hurt.

"Elle." He didn't know what to say, but her name on his lips made him feel closer to her somehow. She was standing right in front of him, but it felt like she was miles away. He hated it.

"How-how did it happen?" she asked.

He knew what she meant. She wanted to know how he fell. He didn't want to tell her. She would be disgusted with him. He was a despicable creature. That's why he was casted from the Heavens.

Luke sighed, but the impassive look in Elle's face hinted at the fact that she would not settle with hearing anything else than what she asked him to tell her.

"Alright, you want the truth? I'll tell you the truth. It happened a long time ago," he started saying.

"How long?" she interrupted.

"About 165 years ago, more or less," he replied. He watched her eyes widen, but he ignored this and continued.

"Do you know the reason Lucifer was casted out of Heaven?" he questioned.

"Pride?" she shrugged as if unsure.

"Yes," Luke said, "I was no different. Mind me, I never intended to be greater and more glorious than God. I love him above everything and anything".