Chapter Two.

Chapter Two.

"Why haven't you asked me what happened?" Elle asked Luke after he had finished inking her skin with yet a new tattoo.

She was still seating in the client chair, while he sat at a wooden stool a few feet away from her. He was leaning back with arms folded against his chest, watching her.

"If you wanted to tell me, you would have. I would never put you in the position of pushing you to tell me something if you don't want to talk about it," he replied simply.

His eyes were so blue, she noted. Like clear skies on a bright summer day. She thought that maybe she could fly in them; escape this terrible world filled with horrible people who did awful things without caring who they hurt in their path.

"Thank you," was all she could reply.

She had never met anyone quite like Luke. Most people either pry too much or pretend to just to act like they care. Luke wasn't like that, she knew he cared. Not pushing her to talk about something upsetting is his way of proving it. 

For the past six months, this tattoo parlor had become her escape from her reality. She always felt at peace here. Luke helped though, and so did the tattoos in her skin. Most of her torso was now full of inked designs. No matter how broken she felt when she walked through that glass door, after Luke had done his magic and she saw the new permanent decoration in her skin, she felt less shattered. She couldn't really explain the feeling, but she felt like a new piece of her had been added and that she was a step closer to being complete. 

They both stayed in silence for a few moments.

She knew she had to leave, but that would mean getting back to her life. She dreaded even the thought of it. But she still stood up from the client chair and stretched her arms as she glanced around the small but cozy tattoo parlor. Once her gaze had roamed all around the place, they landed on Luke, who had been watching her the whole time. 

"You're leaving." It wasn't a question, just a statement, but she still nodded to him in confirmation.

She saw him about to stand up but she stopped him.

"It's fine, I know the way out," she assured. Luke still looked like he wanted to show her to the door.

"Really, it's fine. I'll see you next week, hopefully," and she meant it. Every week she wondered if something too horrible would happen and she wouldn't be able to come back here. But she didn't voice her concerns outloud. Instead she approached Luke's sitting form and leaned down, placing a soft kiss on his mouth. It was a simple gesture, just a brush of lips, but he didn't hesitate on responding to it. She smiled then and he smiled too. 

"I don't know why I did that," she said. There was no apology, because she did not regret it. He said nothing in return, because he didn't mind it.

Without another moment to spare, she turned to leave.

It wasn't until she had opened the glass door about to step out that she heard him speak.

"I'll see you next week".

Then she was out into the cool night air. 

With a shy smile, rose-tinted cheeks and sparkling blue eyes, Elle roamed the streets of the city hoping for the first time in a very long time, to have a different life. 

____________________________________________

A/N: You guys are so sweet. Thank you for the lovely comments on the first chapter. I really hope you continue liking the story. I do appreciate all of your support :)

*This story was actually nominated for "Distinguished Plot" and "Luring Title" at @CrissCrossAwards 5 Seconds of Summer Watty Awards!! I'm so excited. I will put the links to vote in the comment section in case you want to vote for me. Voting starts August 6th (Today) and ends on August 15th. You can vote once a day :)