Chapter Eight.

Chapter Eight.

"I need you to tell me everything," Luke said with a new sense of urgency.

Elle could tell that he knew more than he was leading on, but she opted for doing as he asked. At least for the time being.

"I got my first visit 6 months ago. About two weeks before I came here for the first time," she began explaining.

"Your first visit from who?" Luke's blue eyes held hers intently, as if he could read her thoughts only if he concentrated hard enough.

"From some... things," she said with effort. "They came at three in the morning. They always come at the same time. But back then, I didn't know that. I was woken up by a sound that resembled the hissing of snakes. It crept me out. It still does. But I had been sleeping, so when I opened my eyes and I watched those dark figures hovering over me, I didn't scream, because I thought it was part of a nightmare. It wasn't though, and it took me several nights to realize that I was being haunted. My first thought was ghosts. But on the third day, I stumbled upon the contract I signed and when I read it, I knew what was going on".

"What did the contract say? What did you unknowingly agreed to when you signed it?" there was a noticeable tremble to Luke's voice, because he knew what she was about to say. But he was still hoping she would say something else.

"In exchange for the money to pay for my mother's treatment and medication, I gave up my soul. Those things that come every night, they are... taking it. Slowly, yes, but surely," Elle's voice was almost cold, as if she felt nothing at all, but Luke knew better.

Elle had to look away from Luke's broken expression.

"They're called Sluaghs," Luke admitted when she turned away. 

"What?" she asked, facing him again.

"The ghosts that visit you every night; they're Sluaghs... ghosts that steal human souls. In this case they're doing it for a demon, but sometimes they do it out of their own accord," Luke explained. 

Elle's eyes watched him in confusion, "How do you know that?" she asked.

Luke purposely evaded Elle's question. He couldn't tell her how he knew what he did. There were rules that he must not break, even if he was where he was. Instead, he grabbed his phone from his small desk and dialed his best friend's number. It went to voice-mail after the sixth ring.

"Michael, we got a situation. Please call me back when you get this." After he was done leaving a message, Luke hung up. 

When he turned around, he was expecting Elle to be watching him, asking for an explanation as to who Michael was and why he needed to talk to him. But he was surprised to find her looking at herself in the big square mirror at the far wall. 

He walked to her, standing behind her, watching her reflection as well.

Her blue eyes looked dark. Both because of the black eyeliner that must have run down when she was crying and also because of the dark circles decorating the skin under her eyes; probably from lack of sleep.

Her blonde hair was in a disheveled pony tail. And her skin was a sickly pale-ish color, almost translucent. 

"I'm a mess," she told her reflection, her eyes glaring at it. He watched her eyes through the mirror as he stepped closer to her and encircled his arms around her slim waist from behind. Those eyes of her finally met his through the mirror, confusion clouding them as he watched.

"I still think you're beautiful," he spoke softly against her ear.

"I'm dying, Luke. Literally. And I'm starting to look like a corpse," she said, still holding his blue eyes through the mirror.

"I don't care," he said. But she could tell that he was lying. There was pain in his eyes. She was having a hard time believing that he was actually upset about finding out that she was dying and her time was running out. But for some reason, while she looked at that pained gaze, she knew that she also couldn't believe that he didn't care.

She looked up at the wall clock above the mirror, and found out it was a little after one in the morning. The ghosts, or Sluaghs, would be coming to her in less than two hours. She knew she had to leave.

"I'm going home," she announced, trying to detach herself from Luke, but he only held her tighter against him. Her back pressed firmly against his chest.

"I told you they come at three, I rather not be here when they find me. I don't want you to see that," she murmured. Luke was already shaking his head.

"They won't come here. You're going to stay," he argued.

"They find me wherever I go," she started saying, but Luke interrupted her. 

"Not here, I promise you sweetheart. They will not come here." He pronounced every syllable slowly, trying to convince her with those simple words. And somehow he did. She knew it was a bad idea to trust that he was right, but as she looked at him and saw the open honesty in his expression, she believed him.

"Okay," she said softly. A slow smile grew on Luke's lips. 

"Good," was all he said. She watched through their reflections on the mirror as Luke leaned down to press his lips at the side of her neck.

She let out a breathy sigh when he kissed her skin.

_______________________________________________

A/N: So.... THANK YOU FOR 5,000 READS!!!!!!!

I hope you liked this chapter. It's a little longer than usual, but I really enjoyed writing it so, I hope you enjoyed reading it!

There's a picture of how Elle (Gabriella Wilde) looks in this chapter at the side.

I love you guys...Stay Awesome!

Liz x

P.S. I have made it to the second round of the 5SOS Watty Awards. I will post the links where you can vote soon <3